Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String identification questions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Davo737, May 18, 2004.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I have no idea what strings are on a Modulus Q4 I picked up recently. They have black silk windings, and are obviously meant for 35" scale instruments, as they clear the nut with at least an inch to spare. They're roundwounds, but are softer to the touch than any other rounds I've played. I've never played groundwounds or halfrounds, but to my eyes these look just like any other set of rounds.

I would say that the tension is on the high side of medium, and they have a very warm, mellow sound, but they're not dead. The D and G strings are particularly round sounding compared to other rounds, have no 'zing' whatsoever, and fret noise is nowhere to be found. Again, I know these are characteristics of dead strings, but they don't 'feel' the way dead strings do. I usually stick exclusively to flats, but I rather like these. They certainly don't have the thud or thickness of most flats, but they're as close as I've seen any rounds come. Do these sound familiar to anyone? Thanks much.

Regards,
    Dave

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, they could be Fender 7250's. 7250's are nickel roundwound, have black silk, and fit Fender's string-through-body equipped basses, so they might work OK on a 35" scale as well.

Some LaBellas also have black silk, but the ones I've used (Hard-Rockin' steels) also have a taperwound E.

Carvin strings have black silk, but they're taperwound.

3. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks - forgot to mention that. The strings are not taperwound. I would never have guessed Fender simply because of the length.