1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Identification?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mattfong, Mar 1, 2008.

1. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    So my bass came with a bunch of different strings on it. The E is a Spiro, the G is a Dominant, and the A and D, I'm not sure.

Steve at Heinl's told me that they were made in Switzerland and are about $600 a set :eek: but didn't actually tell me the brand or anything. They are purple on the ends, and theres no ball, theres a sort of loop you have to put the string through after wrapping it through the bridge (kind of like a slip knot) and I'm pretty sure they're arco strings.

Anyone know what these are?

Thanks!

2. Velvets.

3. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Francois, aren't velvets more jazz inclined? As far as I know these are for arco. As well, I mentioned Velvets to Steve and he had never heard of them.

Then again, the pictures on the Velvet website seem to match the end, other than the colour. The pics are small though, so its hard to tell.

4. Do you have a pic?
    I don't know of any other swiss made strings at $600 a set than velvets!
    :)

5. This document has better pictures: http://www.lnrmusic.com/images/velvetdetail.pdf

The strings could be an old version of Compas 180s, but IIRC those had gold loop ends. Nuno A. should be able to provide more information, maybe he'll chime in.

6. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    600$ a set? There was never a set of Velvet strings that costed 600$, maybe in the past somebody ordered golden strings?:D
    the most expensive set of Velvets (price list-which is not really the street price as this is always lower) is the compas 180 V tuning that cost 442$, price list for Garbo and Anima is $317 , and you can find these strings cheaper on the net. prices aside, i would like to see some pictures, the V tuning set has purple ends on one side and black on the other, if you could post pictures it would help a lot, i can show the pictures to the owner and see if its an old model, etc
    thanks

Nuno

7. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    So they're not velvets? Unless Steve gave me the wrong price... I'd put up pictures but my camera is at my girlfriends house.

By the way, it's almost impossible to see any winding on the string, it almost looks like a solid metal wire. Well, thats an exaggeration, but you have to look pretty closely compared to, say, a spirocore to see it.

IMPORTANT EDIT: I screwed up... just looked at em again, and the silks at the tailpiece are black, with a bit of blue on the A and a bit of green on the D. Sorry guys, I hadn't looked at them in a bit when I made the original post.

8. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Now that you tell that the ends of the strings are black and that theres a bit of blue on A and green on D , i can say that they are Velvets.
    But if the ends on top are purple, thats the com 180 V tuning which means that the string with the green part is a D but the string with the Blue part is a G. (if thats true and you're using it as an A, the tension must be higher..) please post pictures of the top and bottom ends so that i can tell you for sure what they are, and whatever they are, they dont cost $600:p

Nuno

9. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    According to their website their Online price for a set of Eudoxas is $610.00, marked down from $813.50 (!), so maybe they'd be happy to sell you a set of Velvets for a similar price. :)

10. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    So the silks at the top end are red.

Jack: Who's website?

11. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Red endings at the top + black endings at the bottom = Velvet Compas 180 .

Nuno

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    "Jack: Who's website?"

If you mean me Jake, then Heinl's website, as you referenced them in your initial post..

13. mattfong

mattfong

Jan 14, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Haha yeah man sorry about that! Yeah after I posted that I realized thats what you were probably talking about and went and had a look.

Alright cool, so they're velvets. I like them a lot, especially for arco. Whats weird though, is when I asked Steve about Velvets, he didn't know what I was talking about haha.

Thanks guys!