Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Idiot, Please Help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Magical_Max, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Hello all,

I'm abit stuck as to what strings to buy, I currently use Rotosound Swing 66's on my E and A. And Elixers on my D and G. The Rotosounds have gone horribly dead and sound awful.

When I had my bass strung fully with Elixers they sounded wonderful with fingers and slapping but picking it sounded waaaayyyy to bright for my taste and the strings started to peel halfway through a gig. Not good. Elixers are expensive and I don't want to keep having to pay for strings that will peel quickly.

In one band I play covers (varying from Metallica to The Offspring), and in another some songs use lots of drop tuning (anything from drop D to drop B). I've been looking at a set of Legacy strings http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/ViewProduct.aspx?productId=597 (just because they are real cheap) other than that i'm at a loss as to what to buy. :help:

Any suggestions?
    (aiming for the strings to cost less than a set of Elixers)

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Not quite sure what you're looking for, but I've had good luck with D'Addario XL nickels. I'm just now trying EB Hybrid Slinkys and they might be even better. I play finger style only and I like the above strings because I consider them articulate enough for my tastes without being too trebly. The EBs seem to be a bit more piano-y (Is that a word?) than the D'Addrios.

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    D'Addario EXP's are coated, like the elixirs, but don't peel 'cause they are made differently. I'm not sure if they will be too bright for you. They cost a l'il less, but the coating will make them last longer. Other users on the forum have noted that they last 2-3 times longer than an uncoated set.

D'Addario XL Nickel wounds are great strings. I use them and Pro-steels on my EB's with great results. The Pros are significantly brighter, but (atleast for me) they stay bright without getting harsh.

4. I shall look more deeply into the D'Addario EXP's..

Anyone use DR's if so how long do they keep their bright and punch for?

Thanks