Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Info:

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Al Cheatham, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Can someone please give me some information about the La Bella Black Nylon Tape Wound strings for upright acoustic bass? I haven't a clue on what is now on my bass. They were on it when I purchased the bass. I am not particularly happy with the sound of these strings. I play in a jazz quintet, and we play all the jazz standards, and I am not getting the sound that I prefer from these strings. I am not getting a good clean sound, specifically on the low end. I have been studying about different types of strings and the La Bellas caught my eye. :help: :help: :help:

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have no idea what's on your bass either. But I do use the Labella 7710's (black nylon strings) and thus far I like the sound on my bass. They're easy on the fingers too.

They're a tough to bow but if you put rosin on the string then they bow just fine.

They're not terribly expensive strings so trying them will not cost you too much.

The only other string I'd like to try is the Animas (but that'll have to wait).

3. So you have an upright electric. The first thing you should know is that the labellas will not work with a magnetic pickup, only with a piezo.They are easy on the fingers,though, with a gut like feel.. Harvie Schwartz Used them on his EUB and he liked the sound. I tried them, but IMO they didn't have quite the full bodied sound I was looking for,
    and they sounded like crap under the bow.. I am currently using correlis on my EUB and they are working out just fine.

4. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Huh? I thought he wrote that he had an accoustic upright.

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Al's profile says he owns an Aria EUB, but he seems to be asking for an acoustic upright.
    Maybe he just bought one?

6. My fault, checked his profile to see what he was playing on and got confused.:oops: (My opinion is still the same, though...):smug:

7. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Well, Ron Carter and Buster Williams use them. I don't sound like them but I do like the sound of the strings on my bass. You won't know until you try them.

8. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Mads Vinding also uses them.
    Harvie S used them on his Merchant EUB. Don't if he still does.

9. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Out of curiosity, which ones do you use?
    After trying the 380M, 370M, 370F, 380TX and 370TX, I've settled on the 370TX for the E, A & D, and a 370F for the G.
    I just need to be patient to let them settle in and loose their initial brightness...

10. I remember from your other thread that you didn't much care for the correllis. I've been using the 370's (Mediums) lately and they feel fine. There is some initial brightness,especially on the G, but it does darken up a bit after a few weeks of playing. In the meantime, I just roll off the treble on the EQ.

11. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Yeah, I took them off because I found the brightness annoying, put other strings, which were warmer but more difficult to play (more tense), and finally put the Corellis back.
    Now I'm letting them the time to settle in correctly...
    The Corellis are so easier to play!
    The Ms are quite good, but they are very sensitive and you have to be careful to not overplay them. And since I usually dig in quite hard, they could'nt handle it!

12. I hear you... I had to raise my action :bag: (string height)
    quite a bit so i wouldn't get that crunch.

13. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    With the TX's this is much less an issue.
    And they're still very easy to play.
    You can keep you string height lower and get more sustain too.
    This morning I replaced the "F" G with the TX, so I now have the full TX set on. Putting it off and on already removed some brightness.

14. Yes, I do own an Aria upright electric, but I also own a 3/4 acoustic upright bass. I just got it about a month ago. My question about the strings concerns the upright acoustic, not the EUB.
    Thanks for the answers. I hate to pay for strings and then find out that I hate them. It's always good to get other player's opinions. :cool:

15. Freddels

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Well whatever strings you go with, if you don't like them just do like everybody else and sell them on this forum. I got my Labella's used on here.

16. Yeah, I sold my heritage strings,on here too. (in less than an hour!!!):cool:

17. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I had some problem with the E string though.
    It was very easy to have it rattle on the FB. I had to play it very lightly.
    I put back my nickel medium one and voilà!
    Great warm sound, and no more rattle!
    It wasn't mixing well with the 370TX on the other strings though, so I changed them all to 380M and now that's great!
    The nickels (380 series) are more rigid and warmer sounding than the tungstens (370 series) so they have less crunch.
    Is it possible that I have found my holy grail? ;)

18. What other strings is the bowability of the 380's comparable to? Do they have the same sustain as the 370's? Are they really that easy to play?

Chris

19. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Bowability?
    I don't know; I play pizz only.
    However the Corellis seem to have the reputation of being an excellent arco string.
    Sustain is similar, but I'd say a tad less.
    They are really easy to play, in particular the M gauge.
    Don't expect tons of volume from them though, not a huge fat fundamental. They remain relatively thin strings.
    The 380s are also available in TX gauge, which are stronger.