Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Instruments vs Wind Instruments

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MotoClip, Apr 30, 2003.

1. String Instruments

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Wind Instruments

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. I don't prefer one over the other

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. While looking around at the forums I've started to notice that many people play wind instruments too, especially the Tuba. I got curious of how many people prefer string over wind or wind over string. Oh yeah, it's just a poll.

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I like both a lot... any good music is going to be good on any instrument, but in general I prefer the sound of wind.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Goodness gracious, why should it need to be any instrument vs any other instrument?

I like both.

But, I might point out that, at least from an orchestral point of view - guitar, bass guitar, and piano, are part of the percussion family, not the string family.

4. What's the point of it?

I mean.. wind instruments and string instruments include a wide variety of very diferent family members each.

For example, I like the sound of the sax and the oboe,and LOVE the sound of flutes and string instruments like the violin , viola, cello, and doublebass.. I wish I could play flute and violin as well as I can play the bass.

In the other hand, I dont feel too attracted by the sound of horns, trumpets, tuba, and banjo myself, and have never feel interested in playing any of them.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i will get flamed for this but i play both electric bass and trumpet:

trumpet is five times as hard to play musically as the electric bass

the role of the electric bass is five times as hard as playing the trumpet musically

this comes from a trumpet player who plays bass

:bag:

remember, my opinion is not fact, just my opinion.
    i constantly defend bass from horn players all the time.

6. I actually agree..

its a pain in the ass to play a decent sounding scale in a trumpet if you're not experienced.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I don't see why you should get flamed. I play both EB and trumpet too - and I'd pretty much agree with what you said there.

8. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I voted that stringed instrument rule all. Viva la zero culture!

On a more serious note, I guess I just prefer the sound of stringed instruments to wind ones, if I played both I'm posotive it'd be the latter option that I picked.