1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String / Intonation Problems

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PaulF, Mar 9, 2005.

1. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Hi all

I've just decided to try out some lighter strings on my bass (35-105's).

I was hoping to help reduce the issues caused by my bass having what I feel is a fairly high action and being 'hard work' to fret notes quickly.

Unfortunately I've had to raise the action a little higher when putting these strings on to avoid fret buzz (which when I think about it makes sense - they probably vibrate more vigorously being lighter, and so need more clearance from the frets).

I've also had to adjust the intonation slightly (which again is what I expected) - most of the strings needed about 1/2 to 1 turn on the bridge screw to bring the 12th fret fretted note in tune with the harmonic.
    BUT - the A string is giving me real problems - I must have given it at least 3 or 4 (and possibly more) turns on the screw - but the fretted 12th note still remains sharp. I've double checked that the bridge is moving when I adjust the screw, but I just can't get it in tune. :confused:

Is there something else I should try, or is it time to take it to a 'professional'

Any ideas / suggestions would be welcome.

cheers !

Paul

2. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    I had the same problem on sunday when I checked my intonation. My buddy who went to luthier school was helping me and noticed that when I was fretting the A string at the 12th I was bending the string down pulling it sharp. Might be the cause, he also said from what he remembers a difference of 4 cents (? not sure of term) is indetectable by most peoples ear.

3. You can compensate for pulling the string sharp by intonating slightly flat. But I prefer correcting the problem.

4. PaulF

PaulF

Nov 17, 2004
    Thanks for the idea's guys....

I checked again last night, and was very careful in how I fretted the note - I pretty sure it's not my fingering that's causing it.

I guess I'll have to get it to a local shop for a 'proper' set-up to see what they can do with it.

Thanks

PaulF