1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String is too long!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by georgenish, May 13, 2006.

1. georgenish

georgenish

May 13, 2006
    I am in the process of buying this Ibanez EXB404 bass (1990 model). The E string was broken so I tried to change with the strings in the case. There were Ernie Ball Custom Gauge 100 and ROTOSOUND Swing Bass E strings. Both were too long; the string's wound section is above the tuner. I checked the broken string and its wound section is well below the tuner (shorter). This bass' string is a surface mount and not a thru body string. What type of string shud I buy for this bass. I haven't played a bass since 1968 and am excited to play again. Thank you for your help!

2. just cut the string.

3. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Cut a piece out of the middle of the string and either solder or weld it together again.. That way you'll get a proper length.

:p

I think I see the problem, but I don't have a solution. Wait for further wisdom. I'm sure it'll come. :)

4. Gothax

Gothax

Apr 22, 2006
    Heerlen, Netherlands
    Endorsing Artist: Jim Dunlop strings
    GHS Boomers shortscale strings for example?

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It doesn't matter. Just cut the string so you have maybe 2 inches longer than the tuner. Insert and wind.

6. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I had this problem when using a 5 string set on my fretless - the low B wouldn't wrap into the tuner at that stage of string. To fix the problem I added a series of nuts inbetween the ball end of the string and the bridge. Despite being rather awkward and looking comnpletely stupid, it sounds, feels and works fine.

7. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Get a new set of LONG SCALE Daddarios medium gauge. Those should fit well (about $16).

8. eeby

eeby

Mar 27, 2006
    I had the same problem. My solution was to unwind the string at the top and cut off the winding, leaving just the core of the string. It's difficult, but you can do it with needle nose pliers and wire clippers.

9. skoti89

skoti89

Feb 23, 2006
    Chico, Ca
    cut it

10. eeby

eeby

Mar 27, 2006
    Simply cutting the string won't work if the string's wound section is above the tuner and thus you can't fit the string into the slot in the tuning peg. In such cases, stripping off some of the winding or using nuts or washers as Techmonkey suggested are possible solutions.