1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String Just Broke Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lonesage, Jan 9, 2012.

1. lonesage

lonesage

Dec 17, 2011
    So my E string just poped as I was practicing. It was the E string which I had tuned down to B and it was a 130 gauge. My strings were Rotosound 65 to 130. I'd say I had these strings on my bass for about a month and a half now.

I like to play alternative metal and play in drop B. I'm about to put on my GHS Boomers with the E string being at 115. Any one have any good suggestions on some bass strings with a low gauge like from 115 to 130 for a 4 string that are reliable? Oh my GHS Boomers have been more reliable than my 130 Rotosound ones but I like the 130 gauge and the low sound it makes, I just don't like them breaking after a short while.

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Have you examined the bridge saddle real mclose for any signs of a burr that may have worn the Es tring causing break? Rotosound strings are very reliable and I havent broken one since the late 1970's. Only recently switched to diff strings for keepers fave brand.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    I am confused...

.130 is usually a B string at normal pitch. Do you mean it was just in the 4th position on a 4 string maybe?

That set is the RS66LH B E A D set I think you were playing. Should be reliable. However, the problem may not be your string, it could be the nut or bridge saddle can not properly support the installation of that large of a string. Where exactly did the string break? Was it by the tuning post? If so, was the outer winding of the string wrapping around the post?

And as Darkstorm said, check the bridge for any sharp points.

GHS and Rotosound both make great strings, and they both have singles available.

4. lonesage

lonesage

Dec 17, 2011
    The string broke at the nut or right above it. Also this may be relevant or not but my E string bridge saddle seems to be...stuck. I can't adjust the action or the intonation on it. I have no idea why and it is the only saddle on the bridge doing it. What the hell do I do now?

5. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    I wonder if the string was getting "Stuck" in the nut so much that when you were tuning it up, the string on the fretted side of the nut would not get pulled through the nut so the string was being pulled too much on the tuner side of the nut.

As if you had a locking nut on a guitar and were using the tuning pegs but the locking nut was locked.

Was the string very tight in the nut? Sounds like it if I had to guess...

You are going to need to file your nut wider to use a string that size... or use some kind of nut lube...

6. I had a 76 Jazz that kept on breaking E strings. I brought it to my guy for its annual set up and told him about the problem. Sure enough there was a burr on the bridge saddle that was causing the string to break. He did his thing and I haven't broken another string since.

Hope this helps.

7. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Two things which spring to mind:
    1) If you really tuned this 0.130 string to an E, it must have produced some 65 pounds of tension. This is an awful lot. The string may look very solid, but the majority of the tension pulls on the solid wire in the core.
    2) My son frequently tunes up and down his guitar. This causes strings to break close to the tuning pegs. That specific part of those strings is being bent and straightened many times. This results in hardening of the wire, making it brittle, so it breaks easier.

8. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings

Huh, huh, you said "nut lube". :D

Sorry... couldn't resist. Back to your normally scheduled programming! ;)

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

9. lonesage

lonesage

Dec 17, 2011
    No I didn't tune it to a E I had it at B, Never went higher than a B. I was just calling it my E string since that is what the string would be in a standard tuning. What exactly is a burr you guys keep talking about? Also when I first got the string it wouldn't fit into the nut so I did file it enough so it could have fit. Maybe I didn't file it enough, I am not sure.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    What material is the nut on your instrument? If brass / metal of some kind it could have a burr on it as well...

11. lonesage

lonesage

Dec 17, 2011
    I guess I should mention my bass is a Ibanez SRX 690EX. Also the nut is plastic and I don't know what a burr is.

12. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    A burr is a sharp edge on a metal part which should have been removed (deburred). If a string presses on such sharp edge it can be cut easily.

13. lonesage

lonesage

Dec 17, 2011
    I see, thank you. I don't think that was my problem but I will have to check the nut again. Now my E string saddle is locked into position and I can't tune the action or intonation with it, how do I go about fixing that?

14. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Remove the string, so the saddle should move freely. If it doesn't, try to find out where it locks. Normally Ibanez uses one spring loaded screw to move the saddle. Can this screw be turned into and out of the saddle? If this is the case, I think the saddle sticks between the bridge and the adjacent saddle. If so, remove the A-string saddle and check whether the E-string saddle can be moved.

15. lonesage

lonesage

Dec 17, 2011
    So after taking off my E and A string I still can't do anything with my E string saddle. I can move the saddle itself but I see that there is something in the hole where I adjust the action so my allen wrench can't fully go down it and tune it.

Also I noticed the screw that adjusts the intonation seems to be a little warped at the end of the bridge so my screwdriver can't do anything. Am I going to have to get a new bridge now? I might go somewhere once I get the chance and money to have some one take a look.

16. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Depending on the instrument, you will most likely beable to find a new saddle / adjustment screw. Check the classifieds here, lots of people selling "parts" all the time!