Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String length beyond the nut/bridge and string tension.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MJB, Apr 27, 2002.

1. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Wow, no professional opinions on this topic? :eek:

Thanks Darrin, just saw your posts on that thread.

Anybody else?

3. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    It's amazing to me how basic Physics goes out the window when artistic impressions are involved, like in this discussion.

The distance from the nut to the tuning peg is entirely irrelevant to tone or tightness of the low B string. Headstocks with extended lengths in that area are just a sales gimmick. And that opinion is backed by two degrees in Physics.

Of course, I have and will build headstocks like that if the customer wants it..who am I to argue with a paying customer on something that doesn't really matter? :rolleyes:

DAve P.
    BS, MS

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thankew, thankew, thankew, Dave.

Munjibunga, CEG, GE

5. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Dave, or any of the other luthiers on here, do you think the angle of the headstock makes a difference? And also the angle the strings are drawn over the saddle at the bridge?

6. DP Custom

DP Custom DP Custom Basses

Feb 7, 2001
    NC, USA
    yes, in general for all strings, in that it either helps anchor the string properly at the right end points (defining the scale length). To small an angle, and the string isn't anchored at that place. To big an angle, and the resistance of the string to bending starts to come in, causing the string to not seat well either...

Dave P.

7. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Thank you very much Dave, as an engineer I totally concur with your take on this. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I would add that too big an angle increases stickiness at the nut, making it more difficult to tune.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Ditto.

10. Dave P.:

Have you considered writing about this and other such topics to try and cut through the artistic opinion haze?

I'd love to have definitive or at least technically sound notes on the following:

o Scale length
    o Zero fret
    o Pickup cover material

As well as a few others.