1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Length Query

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by junglejem, May 23, 2012.

1. junglejem

junglejem

May 20, 2012
    Just bought an American P Bass with thru-body stringing. Do I need to be concerned about string length, especially the G string? Will any manufacturer's strings work (other than short scale of course)? I'd like to use flat wounds. Any thoughts?

2. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    In my experience, thru body stringing, specifically on the precision does not require any more length than stringing thru the bridge.

3. A 34" scale or long scale string is proper. Be sure to follow Fenders directions on cutting the strings for proper length. If you go to heavy strings, the E (more than 105" dia.) may not go thru the bridge easily and a Taper Wound sting is best on Fat E strings.

4. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    You might want to be careful using flats through the body as some of them don't like to be bent at those sort of angles.

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Depending on the brand I have found that sometimes there is not enough length to go through the body without the silk at the nut end ending up in the nut. If that's the case, just go through the bridge instead. There's not really any difference in sound as far as I can tell.

6. junglejem

junglejem

May 20, 2012
    Well, forgive a stupid question...I wasn't aware I had a choice to string through the bridge versus through the body. The only P Bass I've ever owned was a '78, and it certainly didn't have a through-body design.

So I can bypass the through-body and just string it like a conventional bridge? And if so, what is the purpose of the through-body set-up?

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Yup - with GHS Boomers, Long Scales Plus will work better for string thru the body on Fenders than regular Long Scale, whereas Long Scale Plus won't work very well for top loading the same bass...

- georgestrings

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    Yeah, you can top load that bass, no prob - although *sometimes* the body ferrules for stringing thru will fall out if they're not held in by stringing thru them... IME, there are no actual tonal/playing differences between string thru body and top loading - I've owned a few basses that will string both ways, tried both ways with them, and couldn't detect any discernable difference...

If you really wanted to top load, and didn't want to risk losing a ferrule, you could pop them out, and glue them back in... IMO, Fender *should* do this to begin with, but somehow it doesn't always happen...

- georgestrings

9. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    You should look for strings that are at least 37" from Ball End to Taper or Silk. Which is most of the stuff out there...

GHS Long Plus as mentioned before is 38" Ball to Silk so that is perfect. Long Scale is 36.5" which may be too short.