String Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Apr 30, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have read a lot of misinformation here and elsewhere about string manufacturers. Things like "there are only two or three actual string makers," or "Company X makes strings for Company Y" etc.

So I did a little research. Here is some of what I found out:

D'Aquisto makes strings.

Dean Markley makes strings. They own a company called American Winding that makes all of their strings. GHS does not make Dean Markley Strings.

Fender makes strings. They purchased the Squier manufacturing company, a string manufacturer, sometime around the late '60's or early '70's, I'm not sure of the date.

Fodera makes their own strings.

La Bella, of course, makes strings, including Carvin roundwound and tapewound strings. I'm not sure who makes Carvin's flatwounds. Both GHS and Labella deny responsibility ;) .

SIT makes strings.

Ernie Ball makes strings.

Ken Smith makes strings.

These are actual string manufacturers that own their own string winding equipment. This is in addition to D'Addario, GHS, Rotosound, Thomastik-Infeld and any others you may have heard of.

I couldn't find a working phone number for Charlie Stringer's strings, so I don't know about them.

This is about all I have at the moment, but I thought you might find it interesting.
  2. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Flatwound you are right there isnt that many string manufactures but when they make strings for someone else its to that companies specs.So when you buy Rickenbackers strings there not the same as D'adario own strings.
  3. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually, my point is that there are a LOT of string manufacturers. I easily found 12+ actual manufacturers, who make their own strings on their own equipment. There are certainly many brands who don't manufacture their own strings, such as Lakland, Adamas, Carvin, Webstrings and others.

I was replying to those who say there are really only three or four companies that actually make the strings.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good to know, Flatwound. Thanks. I've wondered about this, myself.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I, too, was always amused by the "There are only 3 places in the WHOLE WORLD that actually make strings." Like it was a secret art, or required nuclear power, or something.

I just never thought to prove it. So, kudos to you, Flatwound. You da man.
  6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I really just kind of wondered. I have read several times that GHS makes Dean Markley strings, but the web site states that Dean Markley makes them. So I called. They told me that they own a company called American Winding which makes all their strings. Then I found a phone number for American Winding, and they said, yes, they're owned by Dean Markley and make Dean Markley strings.

I thought for sure a huge company like Kaman would make their own strings (Adamas, Ovation), but they don't. They contract them out, but I don't know to whom.

I was kind of surprised to find out that Ken Smith makes strings as well, but they have an actual string plant.
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hey, Flat, interesting thread!
    Could one ask for a complete list of all string makers on this globe?

No, I'm actually not kidding. I would sincerely want that list - immediately, if possible.

And, BTW, including makers of non-magnetic strings. Considering entering the Light(Wave):D