Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String mix

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by moped10, Apr 10, 2003.

1. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Howdy everyone,
    I'm new to this forum as you can tell, as well as new to playing DB. I've played jazz on an electric for 19 years and as I've veered from modern jazz back to traditional, I've dropped the electric. Anyway, my question is this- I bought a new Englehardt from a local shop here that did a great job on the set-up, but left the original strings on- I'll get guts later after my wife has settled down- In the meanwhile I grabbed some Supernils- I love the Supernils on the G and D, but am I crazy for putting the brake wire back on at least the E? My plucking technique on the low E is too sloppy for the Supernils, but I can get a clean enough sound out of the higher tension steel- Is my form at fault, or the low tension Supernil E?

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Quite probably your technique has a lot to do with it, but the Supernils aren't helping. There is a reason they are about the cheapest strings you can buy.

Try a Spirocore Weich E & A, or an Obligato E & A. Both are relatively inexpensive, and will not be as flabby as the supernil.

Monte

3. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks! This forum is already proving to be more useful than the Gretsch guitar one I inhabit-;)

4. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    I don't mind the mediocre-nils for now- My next lump of gig money though will be going toward probably some spirocores- How's the volume on those Obligatos?

5. moped10

I have Obligatos on my Engelhardt EM1. They have been on about 3 weeks and are settling in nicely. I play primarily unamplified bluegrass and they have a nice punch. It doesn't take much effort to get max volume. I can't give you a big comparison as I took off the original old strings and put these on, I have tried no other brands. I have gotten a couple of compliments on the sound however.

As always YMMV.

Keith