Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Moving Out of the Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kjr, Oct 23, 2003.

1. kjr

kjr

Jan 25, 2003
    Michigan
    I have a Fender P-bass Special, and the A string when I play it open moves out of the nut. It moves upward towards the E string out of the indented part. Then it rattles on the nut which is very annoying. Does anyone know what is wrong with it and how I can fix it? Thanks

2. Check to see if the nut is grooved wide enough for the string to set in the nut, if not, make the slot wider, or have a tech do it!

Good luck!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. I'm guessing not enough downward pressure is being exerted at the nut. Make sure the string is wrapped properly around the tuner post. If the string is clipped too short, there will not be enough winds around the post and it will pop out of the nut.

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Most important to downward pressure on the string is to make sure that that string winds downward on the tuning post.

5. You may need a sring retainer also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    String retainers are not normally needed for the A string. Only for the D and G string. The string angle at the nut may be a problem. I once had a P bass that had been stored leaning in a corner for most of it's life and the peghead became somewhat bent upwards and the effect was that the small string angle became even more smaller.
    If your bass is OK and the string angle is normal then the problem is the actual string slot. The easiest way to file it to a proper fit is using the actual (roundwound) string as a nut file. The string should be seated in the nut aprox. half the diameter of the string.

7. I beg to differ.

I know many bassist who use a string retainer on the E and A strings as well as the D and G.

I do however, feel this is a problem with the nut itself and I addressed this in my earlier post!

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Yes on some basses maby but not on P and Jazz basses. There is simply not any space to throw in a normal round retainer and it's realy not needed if everything else is OK with the P bass.

9. What do you call this?

I call it a P bass with two string retainers!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    I can see it's done on that bass (whatsoeverbrand) in the picture but a Fender bass with a standard peghead and normal size tuners is different. Fender tuning pegs are of a totally different size.

11. Jani, I own about 18 Fender basses and I promise you, it can be done.

I will however, say, it's not the norm.

I believe the problem on this P bass is the nut.

I'm finished with this thread so post what you must!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. kjr

kjr

Jan 25, 2003
    Michigan
    I got it fixed at the shop. The grove needed to be deeper. Thanks

13. Thank you for getting back to us with the answer!

I hope you are enjoying your bass now!

[​IMG]
    Treena