Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Mutes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, Jan 28, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok..... why? i got to play with a bass that had them today. i dont get it. some people like there strings muted? I have never come across that before.

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You can buy them for rick's, and I knew of a company that sold "quick string mutes" that fit on any bass, but I never really made a move to buy any, seeing as I don't have a need for it. :)

The company that made them was in europe, I believe. The need for them is if you want to mute a string, but are playing quickly.

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The original Fender basses in the 1950s had them. The idea was to simulate the sound of an upright bass, by cutting off the sustain, and giving it that "thump" sound. They aren't really necessary though, you can get the same sound by palm muting while plucking with your thumb. I use this technique when I want an upright like tone (especially on fretless) and it works fairly well.