1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String Mutes ?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Andydonovan, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hi All,

I have a set of Helicore lights on my Stentor Conservatiore DB that i'm happy with 70% pizz 30% slap.... and did a completely acoustic gig the other night with my band the Malingerers. I completely overpowerd the acoustic guitars and harmonica and need to temper the volume if I can. I looked in the string cases and noticed these small felt circular things with a whole in. Mutes?? I think these might help reduce the output of my bass. Does anybody know how to fit these? I just want to use them occasionally. I looked on the D'addario site but no luck.

Cheers Andy

2. Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Oct 10, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I don't think they are mutes. I'm pretty sure you put them on the ball end of the string to prevent them from marring up your tailpiece. Not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure.

3. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
  4. Thanks gents , yes that makes sense, I don't want to restring again so i'll have to live with out the ballend pads for now, I'll take a look at those mutes too.