string muting

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by fretlesschris, May 29, 2001.

1. Michael,
    First, thanks so much for putting Autumn Leaves up as a chord practicing song.

:confused: My question is : how do I mute that dern A string?? Especially when playing the Em chord at the 12th fret, since that's also a harmonic fret. I'm trying to play it with 3 fingers instead of as a bar chord, but it seems that no matter what, I hit that string and now there's a suspension in the chord (not to mention a dissonance)!

I'm assuming its really just a matter of three things - 1) practice, 2) practice and 3) practice, but I'd like to practice correctly so if you have a tip or technique you could share I'd appreciate it.

thanks in advance,

If You're Really Hip, the Passin' Years Will Show!!
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    there is the easy way and then there is the hard way .....

Seriously, the easy way is the Vic Wooten way. Put a terry cloth, elastic hair tie around the neck of your bass. Slide it up past the nut when you don't need it and slide over the fretboard when you do. It really works well.

The second way is to mute the A string with you plucking thumb as it moves down after striking the E string

Glad you enjoyed it

3. Thanks Mike,
    I've tried the terry cloth hairband. Guess I should go back to it.

Now it's just a question of training my fat fingers to only finger the strings one at a time so the hairband can work <g>.