1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Noise Question (Fender Flats)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jimbowhit7, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    So today I took my bass to my local Guitar Center so the tech could file down the nut grooves a bit - there were some serious intonation issues on the first few frets. That problem seems to be fixed, but now my A string makes this weird buzzy, almost hollow noise when I play it open. If I gently rest my finger on it right behind the nut, it stops making the noise. It doesn't seem to come through when I'm plugged into anything, but should I be concerned by this?

2. Is it a Fender-style in-line headstock?

If so, you have to make sure the A string is wrapped around the tuner post in a way the last wrap coming out of it toward the nut is as close to the bottom as possible in order to create enough break angle at the nut for adequate downward pressure to prevent buzzing.

MattZilla likes this.
  3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    probably not. My playing-with-distortion instruments have a little foam or old black sock under the strings behind the nut to mute down the headstock length. My others I let ring wild and free as naycher intended.

4. Jimbowhit7

Jimbowhit7

Mar 5, 2018
    It is indeed. I could try rewinding the strings, but the A string is already about as low as I think it'll go with the current number of windings - I'd have to get new strings and leave them longer for more windings around the post.

5. You should be able to loosen the A string just enough to be able to push down on the wraps and then re-tighten it, keeping it held down till it's tight enough to stay lower on the post than it is right now. No need to get a whole new set, I don't think.

6. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada