1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

string noise

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Nov 10, 2019.

1. i have a lakland 3tbs hollow body bass, its all hollow. sometimes or most of the time i get string noise, how can i stop that, i use fender flat wound strings. please help i love the bass. lakland-skyline-hollow-body-bass_360_ab2dd04418179096748a8fb55f03d906.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  2. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Banned SUSPENDED Supporting Member

String noise with flats?

Squeak from fingers on strings?

Buzz from frets? Whit chu talkin’ ‘bout?

3. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Typically "string noise" refers to the zinging sound from your fingers on round wound strings. Flat wound strings don't make that particular noise, so it's not clear what you mean. Maybe fret buzz?

4. When you push the string, it seems to give a rattling sound. And every little touch you can here it. Even though it's a hollow body, it's thick wood.

5. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

It is exceptionally resonant? Be happy!

Or maybe it just needs a setup. Worst case a bit of fret leveling.

dramatwist and Trouztrouz like this.
  6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    That sounds more like fret buzz. Probably just need a setup. :thumbsup:

dramatwist and Trouztrouz like this.
  7. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    If it's just superficial artifacts from sliding up or down round-wound strings you can probably eq-it out I have successfully zero-ed out string noise with a Broughton H+LPF, but there are probably other approaches. If it is indeed a setup issue, then, yea, what everyone else said...

[EDIT]
    Swear I didn't plan this, and is completely random, as I don't know this TB-er...
    For Sale - Broughton Low+High Pass Filter

8. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Get the bass professionally set up.

After that, it’s technique. Have a good teacher evaluate your playing.

9. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Technique-wise, play directly behind the fret. Use proper muting techniques like floating thumb or movable anchor, plus left hand muting as applicable. Play with a light to medium touch if you usually dig in hard.

Make sure your instrument has properly set neck relief, string height, and pickup height. You may need fretwork, but with flatwounds and a Lakland, I doubt it.

dramatwist likes this.
  10. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    String noise you make yourself, no fate. But it's ok, nothing special, in time you will automaticaly learn to shut it down.

11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Do you hear it when you play with the band?

12. lucas303

lucas303 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Fodera has an excellent series of videos about setting up your bass:

Follow along with those videos and you'll likely be able to fix the problem. Also you'll get to know your instrument even better in the process.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  13. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    First thing to do is roll your treble control down. Boosting treble usually just increases string and fret noise and dropping it down from flat to about 10 or 11 o'clock should take care of it. Strive to avoid it in your practicing, but don't worry about it much when playing in a group. Nobody will ever hear it when you're playing in a group.

gary mitchell likes this.
  14. yes