1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String noise

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by squirebass, Mar 29, 2006.

1. squirebass

squirebass

Mar 28, 2006
    Iowa
    Hello everyone!!:bassist: I just purchased my first bass about 3 weeks ago and I love it. But I have a problem with my E string buzing when I hit it. I play with a pick and have tried different finger positions on the fret and also pressure on the string. Could you all help me out with this?

Thanks
    Tim

2. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Your bass is probably in need of a setup.

You can use the search feature on this site to narrow down what it probably is. You will probably find that it is making noise because the neck is curved too far back and when you hit the string, the vibrations of the string cause it to hit or barely touch frets that you have no intent of playing.

Making the string higher may also be a fix. If you can hear crummy notes/ buzzing out of your bass when you pluck higher frets and go all the way to the end, then that is a good sign that your string(s) are too low.
    You may want to try to fret the string with your left hand more and lighten up your picking hand. Not vice versa.

The closer you are behind the fret (without being on top of the fret) the better and the less pressure you need to get the note to ring out. The further back you are would require more pressure to get the note to ring out.

Hope this helps and good luck.

3. squirebass

squirebass

Mar 28, 2006
    Iowa
    Thanks a bunch for the reply. Once I got my strings a little higher and started placing my fingers in the right place, the sound was amazingly better:D .
    Thanks again!!
    Tim

4. Robbiethebassis

Robbiethebassis

Mar 29, 2006
    raise the action