1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

string noise

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Crazic, Jan 21, 2002.

1. hey
    when im playing sometimes a string or two that im not touching (intentionally at least) starts to vibrate and make a little noise
    is this bad technique or something wrong with the bass (ibanez btb 405) or sumthing else entirely
    thanks

2. Sad but true.. this is caused by bad technique :)

If you play on a string, it vibrates ( doh :D ).. so it causes the body and in fact the entire bass to vibrate.. this vibration is picked up by other strings.. specially the B-string has this problem.
    can easely be solved by putting your thumb against the string when you use the pickups as a thumbrest :)

3. Have my thumb on string and pickup at same time?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What we're talking about here is "muting technique" - so you can do this with your thumb. I tend to leave mine trailing over the lower strings, stopping any below the ones I am playing from "ringing".

Some people use left-hand muting and you can also mute all the strings with your palm - "palm muting". Anyway, the aim is to be in control of all the strings and only play what you intended! ;)

5. voilla :D

6. AllodoX, that picture absolutely rules!

I love simple MS Paint diagrams. They always make me laugh. :p

7. MSpaint ??

you dare insult me ? :D

Paint Shop pro :D

8. fine, fine :D

Most people that make quick diagrams use MS Paint... Nevertheless, it still made me laugh (and accurately conveyed the message I think you were trying to get across).

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

From the sound of this thread, I think it may be better served in Technique. That's where I'm moving it.

10. thanks
    love the little diagram
    :D