Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String opinions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by babaseen, Apr 15, 2001.

1. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I have read all of posts related to strings and wanted to ask for more opinions since I have started a renewed search for the ultimate slap string set (interest in brand and gauge preferences). I found a couple of unused sets I had been saving from a few years back (Superwound 606, 030-090) that I strung up on my newly acquired Status. These strings sound and play great even if the the wrap goes thru the nut (they are long scale and I require extra long scale for the Status). Anyway the Superwounds by Rotosound are discontinued (I'm not sure why...I'd be interested if anyone knows why). I've heard that Elites and DR's are excellent choices, although Elites are hard to come by in the States. Any help from the FunkMasters out there would be greatly appreciated.

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Hi,

Welcome to the forums. :)

DR makes good strings. I don't slap much, but they make a Marcus Miller signature set called Fat Beams. I have only tried their Hi Beams and Lo Riders, and I currently use Lo Riders on some of my basses.

Most of their stainless strings I have tried would all be acceptable for slap, but based on Marcus' style, I'd give those Fat Beams a try.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm not much of a slapper, so I can't help you there. However, I can tell you that Elderly Instruments sells Elites at www.elderly.com. As far as the Superwound line, I kind of thought that they were replaced by the RS99.

Have you thought about Fodera strings? There's a Victor Wooten sig. set available. I mean, if they're good enough for Vic...

4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    babaseen, the Superwounds are still made. They are called Rotosound RS99 PSD (piano string design). The bad part for you is that they are only available in .045, .065, .085, and .105 which is much heavier than the sets you like. You could possibly find some left at some string sites that still have old stock.

5. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Thanks....seamus for the DR recommend, the Hi-Beams are my next set, Flatwound for finding the Elites even though there is a limited selection I may have to break down and order the Elites light gauge from the Bass Centre in the UK later on down the line (go graphite and you might not come back) & rsautrey for the Rotosound PSD update but I'm hooked on 30-90 (might try 35-95). Even though I'm extremely knocked out by Victor and Marcus in regards to their slap chops I still crave the Mark King sound.

6. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    babaseen, doesn't Mark King have his own Elites signature set?

7. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    rsautrey...thanks...I checked out the Elites web site and Mark King does promote these. I've also just recorded with the Superwound 030-090 on my Status S-2 and everyone in the band (rock/funk) raved about the bass tone I had. Of course it might have something to do with new Status bass by Rob Green or the fact that I used the Bass Pod (with a seperate channel for the direct and one for the Amp Model output).

I've used the 045-105 for years (mostly Rotos Swing or more recently Ken Smith Rock Masters) but the lighter gauge sound better to my ears and are much easier for high precision licks...if that's what you're into. (I just spend the morning listening to my Stanley C. cd's)

8. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    to whomever...thought you might be interested in this e-mail I received from rotosound;

"Unfortunately, the only set of PSD contact-core (formerly known as Superwound) strings we currently manufacture is the RS99LDG. The gauging for this set is 45,65,85,105 and these strings will fit any bass.
    However, we do still make the FM66 funkmaster set (30,50,70,90...same gauging as the old Superwound Funkmaster set) but they are not contact-core strings. These are wound in the regular way."

...i'd still like to know why they discontinued the contact core??? I thought they had the patent for this which would allow them exclusive rights to manufacture this design...maybe sales were down...I don't know why though, this design sounded great to me!

9. babaseen

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    jUST PUT ON A SET OF mARCUS mILLER sIGNATURE dr STRINGS (40-100_ LIGHT GAUGE) AND i AM EXTREMELY IMPRESSED!!! i'D HAVE TO SAY THESE ARE THE BEST I HAVE EVER PLAYED. THEY SOUND FULL, SLAP EASY AND ARE CONSISTENT AND TRUE FROM STRING TO STRING. THESE ALSO DO NOT HAVE SILK ENDS WHICH I REALLY LIKE. THREE THUMBS UP!!!

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Cool man, glad the Fat Beams were the trick. I figured I would mention them when I first posted since you expressed an interest in slap. I figured if a funk master like like Marcus uses them, they may be worth a look.

Not just that, but DR sells a pretty darn good string in general. There's nothing lacking in them for me, I really dig the Lo Riders.

I agree with you on the metal windings v. silk ends. If I had it my way, all strings would teminate with metal instead of silk. Unfortunately, my other favorite string has red silk(RS66LD). :(