Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Output Balance

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Larzito, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Often is seems my D and G stings get lost in the mix in a band setting. Properly adjusted pickups is certainly a factor, but I'm contemplating string guages lately. What affect does string guage have on its output? Is using a heavier guage D and G string (.050 and .070) going to strengthen their output relative to the A and E? Taken from the other side, would smaller A and E strings (.080 and .100) balance better with a .045 and .065 D and G?

My quirky side wants to try a mixed set comprised of .050, .070, .080, .100. Anyone ever tried this? What is stopping me is the drastic difference in sting tension....the D and G would be cable stiff relative to the normal tension A and E.

I tired a .050-.105 set of XL's on my P recently...very tight tension and seemed to be very boomy on the E. FWIW, I like fairly high tension so I can dig in when drummer/guitar player get out of hand, but these were a bit too tight overall.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Odd how tastes differ. The XL .050-.105s on my P-bass are just right but I hear you on the boomy E string. Next time I may try running the E through the body and the rest through the bridge. I don't have a problem with the D and G getting lost with those strings.

I don't know about your tone settings, but have you tried leaving the treble and/or mids (You're talking about your P Deluxe, right?) up on the bass and EQing with your amp?

3. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey r!
    I didn't notice the weak D and G on the P as much as on the Alembic...then again, the P is a new animal for me to play, so I was noticing all sorts of things Monday at practice.

One of the motivations with going with a P is that I have more control over pickup height for each string, given the split P config. J's and soaps span all four strings...P's only span two.

As for the boomy E, do you have a smaller guage E to put on there, leaving all the others the same, just for experimentals? Is you P pickup stock Fender?

Its not that the .050-.105 wouldn't work, in fact, they really allowed me to dig in with pretty low action. But they make you work for it! For grins, I stuck a set of TI Flats on the P that Marcus suggested...slinky as all get out, but totally put me in a different frame of mind and got the creative thing going...and forced me to play lighter...and with less fatigue. Don't think they would work for me in a band setting though. I wouldn't mind trying some flats that have higher tension...and I suspect the string balance thing would be less on flats...just a hunch.

As for EQ, with the XL's, at practice Monday I dialed out a lot of the mid and treble because the bass seemed so harsh other wise. The Ashdown/Eden combo is already dark, so that tells me I've got some funky stuff going on with the electronics. I've decided I'm going to rip the stock pre out and make it passive with the stock P/U's. Once I get it working properly (going to devirginize myself and learn how to do this stuff myself). Then drop in a Nord or Fralin as a starting point for vintage P tone and go from there.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Like I may try, run the E string through the body and leave the others through the bridge. That may take away some of the boom. As you mentioned, with a P you can adjust each side of the pickup to choice.