String poll

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FillyTheKid, Apr 22, 2000.

1. FillyTheKid

Apr 21, 2000
    What do you use?
    my first vote is GHS boomers 45-105

2. Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    I use Warwick red label somethin somethin nicely, if i do say so mahself...

DISCLAIMER: Views shown by Biski2Dope in this post are entirely cynical and should not be taken as offense to anyone...and now that that's done, WANT SOME NUTS? Mooah...

3. GHS 45-105's on the fender jazz bass
    Ernie Ball hybrid (45-105) yahmaha p bass.
  4. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FillyTheKid:
    What do you use?
    my first vote is GHS boomers 45-105

Thi is my strings hit parade:
    1)DR Hi-Beam
    2)DeanMarkley Sr2000
    3)D'addario Prism
    4)DeanMarkley Bluesteel
    5)D'addario XL
    I nave tried every brand pratically!
    I have to say a thing:every one of the basses I own(and owned)makes the same kind of strings play different.
    the worst strings that I ever played
    D'addario Slowound:they are dead
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm currently putting GHS Brite Flats on the Epiphone, and GHS Pressurewounds on the G&L. Both have really nice tone for each bass. I'm considering trying the D'Addario Chromes after what everyone here has said about them.
  6. I've got D'Addario XL Half Rounds on the fretless and Dean Markley Blue Steels on the fretteds
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say that over more than 20 years of playing bass and having tried hundreds of different sring sets, the best by a long way are D'Addario Slow Wounds. I have found some Rotosound sets that are good, but they don't last like the D'Addarios do - they keep their brightness for longer than any others I've tried although they are more expensive. I have also found that the Slowwounds are good for both Funk, Slap and Fingerstyle, whereas a lot of strings are only good for one thing.
  8. I've always used Rotosounds as my first choice for bass strings although I've heard a lot of complaints lately about 'dead strings'. Has anyone had this problem. I read an interview with Billy Sheehan and he said he doesn't endorse them anymore because of exactly that. I also like the sound of the GHS Boomers a lot but I've had trouble with strings breaking (I wouldn't call myself a finesse player!). Has anyone experienced the same problem?
  9. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    If you're breaking your GHS strings, send them back to GHS. The core is warranteed, and they will replace, for free, any strings that don't pass the test.
  10. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I vote for the Pyramid flat wounds. I think they are 45 - 105 . The only problem is that they are VERY expensive.

11. big_goofy_bass_player

Dec 13, 1999
    Rotosound RB40's you can pick em up for £10 a pack round here so they don't hurt your pocket to much either :- ).

12. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Pyramids for flats and Rotos for round wound.
    I also like Daddario slow wounds.
  13. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Elixirs,I like em.Even though I'm about as old fashioned as they come,I like fenders and tube amps,I just dont like the way flats kill the overtones.When I first learned to play,flats were all you could get.Have used halfrounds for years,but the teflon actually feels faster so I may stick with them.
  14. chymel

Apr 16, 2000
    In 30 years of playing, I guess I've tried them all. A few weeks ago I tried the Fodero diamond series strings. Boy, did I get a surprise. What a good sound they have. If they keep up the quality, I will use them exclusively.

Slow wounds - I used them when they first came out. They were decent strings. The last sets I bought were dead as a hammer.

15. Standard Rotosound Swing Bass. I haven't had a new set that was dead yet. They don't last that long - I try and squeeze three gigs out of each set but that's really pushing it. When new-they sound awesome.
  16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've been using GHS ContactCore Super Steel strings for about 5 years now on all my basses, fretted and fretless. Had one defective string, an E that the winding was loose around the core. Brought it back to the store that I bought the set from, and the GHS rep for the area happened to be in the store at the time, he gave me 2 sets free to make up for it. Otherwise, never had any trouble, and they last a good long time, even with heavy gigging (4 nites a week, 6 hrs a nite) they would last me 2-3 months and still be nice and bright.

17. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    So far my favorites are DR Sunbeams Med Lt (45-100). They hold their sound for a long time and you can't beat their great "feel".
    They aren't ultra bright and twangy, but they aren't dull either (you can slap with them if you want...I don't slap much).

18. I have been using D'addarios for years now. I like them. They don't go dull all at once. They actually sound better after a couple of gigs, IMO. On my Precision, the more dull they get, the better they sound!
    I also have tried DR highbeams, and was very impressed! They are not that common in my area, though. The only music store in my area the carries them are a bunch of....hmm. How can I say this nicely...I can't..A*s*oles!

19. Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    DR Lo-riders.

They bring me joy.
  20. D'Addario XL's, DR High Beams' Dean Markley SR 2000's, and Blue steels. There is nothing better than a good set of Swing Bass 66 if you can find a good set.