String prices from various dealers

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This may be fairly "unPC" to discuss online, but what the hell...

Here at the U., we have a group of visiting Russian jazz musicians with us until next Thursday. Since they have a hard time buying gear back home, I'd like to help them get some strings while they're here. Specifically, they'd like to get some Dominants (liked the ones on my bass), and some of the Black LaBellas. When I went to the place I usually order strings from, I saw that the prices for the Dominants were up to $155 a set, and the LaBellas were listed at $124 per set. I haven't bought any strings in a while, but this seems like it might be a bit high. Anybody know where they can be found cheaper? The only caveat is that the place in question must be reliable with fast shipping, since these folks are headed back home on Thursday.

Thanks, and if for some reason answering in this thread is deemed uncool as per the CUP (I honestly don't know, as it keeps changing and I don't always keep up), PM replies are fine also if I get told to not allow public responses.
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I haven't bought online in awhile, I recall expedited shipping being available at either Quinn or Music City...
    but Euro prices are going up though right?
  3. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Steel or metal prices in general have been on the rise with the recent high demand and low supply i.e. China.

Those industries hit hard by this include the construction industry as well as "metal goods" industries such as cars and any other product that uses sheet metal.

It may be a case of these price increases creeping up into metals used in the musical instrument string manufacturing process.

I have been buying a lot of slightly used strings as of late of this site and others for much less than new and have been satisfied with the results.
  4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I'm thinking Quinn Violins as well. They usually have some of the best prices around, and free shipping in most cases (depending on how you ship, I guess). Call Chris Quinn; he's great to deal with.
  5. dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    Go to Shar Music or Southwest Strings for the Dominants.
  6. Dad Bass

Dad Bass

Jun 22, 2005
    New Jersey, USA
    Looks like their prices are lower than Quinn but you would have to pay shipping but the Russians may order enough for a discount?
  7. dchan

Nov 19, 2005
    Bethlehem, PA
    Actually, they both have free shipping for string orders over a certain price, but it says on Quinn's string page that they will match any price that is lower.
  8. Lemur Music is OK, but I have used many times. Prices are OK & REALLY fast shipping IF they have in stock. I find most prices have gone up across the board.
  9. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Why don't you call some of these distributors and ask for a case for these guys?

Thomastik, D'addario, La Bella, they might be into a little charity/publicity. Maybe some of the local shops too, if you can get a mention in a paper or program add or something, they might benefit from being so generous.
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for the info, guys. We ended up ordering from Lemur because they had them all in stock and because I already have an account there. You are right, though: prices really HAVE gone up across the board. :eek: