String Problem!! :(

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by seanboy50, May 25, 2004.

1. seanboy50

Feb 27, 2004
    Im using a fender mark hoppus signature bass (precision bass with seymour duncan quarter pound pick ups). Everything is fine except the E string. It has problems staying in tune and especially on the 3rd fret (G) it always sounds out of tune even if the E is saying it is IN tune! Do you think the problem is with my string? I took it into get fixed but the guy said that the bass was fine and couldnt find anything wrong. Has anyone ever came across this? should i change my string? thankyou Sean
  2. Sounds like you need to get the intonation set. Any good guitar tech can do this for you, or look around on the net and find out how to do it yourself. It's pretty easy if you have a good tuner.

3. Seanboy50, you might have a high fret which can cause the string to become out of tune when fretting, have a GOOD tech check your bass out.

A change of strings wouldn't hurt at least you could rule out strings as the problem then! Trouble shooting is a must skill to learn when working with musical gear!

Setting the intonation of the bass involves adjusting the string length, so that the fretted notes are as in tune as possible across the fretboard. The first step to getting proper intonation is making sure the open string is tuned as accurately as possible. Next, play the octave at the twelfth fret of the same string. The note will probably be flat or sharp by a few cents. Using a screwdriver, adjust the bridge so that the saddles move forward or backwards. If the fretted note is flat, you will be moving the saddle towards the neck. If the fretted note is sharp, move the saddle away from the neck. After you make the adjustment, the open string will be out of tune, so be sure to re-tune it. Then check how in-tune the octave note it. Repeat the process until the octave and the open string are both in tune. Note, however, that a bass will never be in perfect tune across the whole fretboard. There will always be minor variations in certain positions. Setting the intonation as described above will minimize this effect, however.

There are three things that you might memorize for reference in the future.

1- If the string(s) buzz on the first 4 or 5 frets, a relief problem is indicated and a truss rod adjustment is in order.

2- If the strings buzz on the last few frets a bridge height adjustment is in order.

3- An open string buzz usually indicates a bad nut if the buzz clears up when you note the first fret.

Bass Setup Manuals