1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String Q (<--*No Way!*)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ollielangfan, Jan 13, 2006.

1. ollielangfan

ollielangfan

Apr 3, 2005
    Nampa, ID
    Im thinking of buying a Rogue Violin Bass. Im really interested in the shorter scale and the facted that its a Paul McCartny look alike AND its only 200 bucks (I mean come on!.) Now, from what I've read it gives off more of a deep, warm, resonant tone like a upright bass. I'm all for that, but my music style really veries. Here's were the strings come in. If I were to change the stock strings (I think there flat wounds) to my preference (Boomers) would it make a noticable difference or do the pickups got there hearts set on that certain sound? thanks for the help.

2. You might get a little brighter "hollow" sound....

Truthfully, i've never played one, but I'm guessing there won't be a really discernable difference in sound...after all, that is a major hollowbody, so the fact that it reallly sounds warm and resonant...like a cheaper Hofner(if it does?) also means that it may not be too tonally diverse.......

I own a Rick, and even though it isn't a one-trick pony, it still has that "Rick" sound...but you can roll off the brightness if need be...I'm not sure how much added highs roundwounds are going to give a violin bass.....

..I'd personally go for a Precision Bass for near the same price, as you will have a plethora of "warm" tones availiable to you, and you could always add flatwounds to it for even more woofiness..