Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Question Diameter/Tension 1bs.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by greekbassist, Jan 17, 2006.

1. greekbassist

greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Hi Everyone,

I have a Ibanez Soundgear (long neck) and a Custom Landing L2 Bass (short scale 30 1/2)

I want to change out strings on my Landing Bass..Currently I have Light Gauge tension 045, 60, 075, 095 flatwound.

I want to try roundwound, however, some recommended me D'addario EXL 170 045, 065, 080, 100.

I was informed that even though the E string is 100 the tension 1bs. is 28. 3 and that they maybe easier to play because of tension I am currently using? Is this Correct?

The package it reads like this.

Diameter 045, Tension 1bs, 33.7
    Diameter 065, Tension 1bs. 39.8
    Diameter 080, Tension 1bs. 32.9
    Diamteter 100, Tension 1bs. 28.3

What does all this tension stuff mean...100, less tension then say 95? would 80 be less tension then say 075?

Thanks, Greekbassist

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'm not sure I understand your post completely. I'm not sure if this will answer your question, but I do know that the higher the gauge of the string, the higher tension there is.

You would notice more tension if you switched from a 095 E string to a 100 E string. Whether or not that makes it "easier to play" is up to your style and preference.

3. greekbassist

greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Elbajista,

Thanks for trying to help me out and understand my question, but, I think the guy at the music store was just trying to sell me strings I didn't want :meh:

I know the difference between light gauge and heavy....I hate those stupid music store that try to sell just anything :eyebrow:

However, thanks again for trying to help:D

4. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Sorry, but this isn't entirely true.

The measurements that are given are reflections of the pounds of pressure placed on the neck, for that string tuned to pitch on a 34" scale instrument. The shorter the scale the lower the tension.

Guage can be used to loosely determine tension...but only very loosely. For instance a set of 90 guage fender flats will be higher in tension than a larger guage TI jazz flats. This is because of the construction method. If you are going up in guage within the same brand and type of string then yes the higher guage will have more tension. For instance EB Slinky 100's are higher tension than EB Slinky 90's at the same pitch and scale length.

BTW, it is my opinion that there is a point where a string can be too stiff. Others disagree with me, but I have used some really high tension strings and when I tuned down or used the same strings on a shorter neck I found that the quality, but not the volume, of the tone was much better. It was as if the guitar came alive....of course, this is very subjective.

Chad

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Boy, do I know how that is. My first "bass" amp is the Kustom I'm trying to sell. I asked the guy for a bass amp, he sells me a keyboard amp even though they stocked perfectly fine Kustom bass amps. Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I want to throttle that guy for taking advantage of an extremely naive 12 year old.

$400 and two years later, I'm still furious.

[/end rant]

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    You're absolutely right. I didn't think about that, even though it makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying.

7. I think you'd be happy with the EXL170's- They will, as stated above, tune to a lower tension than the package states because of the short scale of your bass. A lot lower, actually. You will probably have to adjust your bridge to get the intonation right.