Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String question for Cirrus players

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 6stringerbeaner, Nov 13, 2005.

1. 6stringerbeaner

6stringerbeaner

Nov 18, 2003
    I know we all have our choice of what strings and tone we are looking for but when it comes to the distinct sound of a Peavey Cirrus bass what do you Ciruss players choose? I finally bought this bass for its modern slap sound and growl it has. I borrowed one from a friend and was blown away as to how it sounded against my Music man. I love my MM bass but the Cirrus just punched and nailed that tone I needed for slapping. Anyways I currently use D'Addarios which I always use but I'm thinking of trying other brands. I hear some nice clips from some of you cirrus players but don't know exactly what strings you are using. I will be using this bass primarily for slap,jazz and R&B music. It is a 5 string.

2. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, what wood combo is it? Mine is a walnut/bubinga top, and it has a distinct midrange that I dial mostly out. OTOH, my StingRay 5 has a vastly different mid response and I'll set if mids flat, more or less. The 'Ray has a maple/maple board and seems to be more high mids (to me) than the Cirrus' mid/low mid tone. Part might be the walnut, but I don't know.

Both are strung with Carvin Nickels.

dcr

3. 6stringerbeaner

6stringerbeaner

Nov 18, 2003
    Mine is the exact bass that John Taylor (Duran Duran) has but only mine is with a ebony frettboard.I think its redwood top. I think maple boards have that high mid sound as well. My MM bass is maple but still my ciruss just sounds punchy and brighter. Although, my interpretation of punchy and higher might be different than most of you guys might think yours is. All I know is that its like night and day when I switch between the two for different gigs but I like having those choices. :bassist:

4. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I picked up a Cirrus in early summer after playing a friends. It's just the right fit if you know what I mean. I changed the strings upon arrival to Cirrus nickels. (great growly tone!) Several outside gigs later changed them again to more of the same. Now I find out the strings I got were closeouts and the Cirrus nickels are no longer made. :( I am going to try TI Super Alloys sometime this week. From there, who knows??

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I think you may be wrong about the strings. Check with Peavey as I just got a new set and my dealer stocks them all the time. Great strings!

6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If your dealer stocks the Cirrus nickels, I would love to know how to contact them. The Peavey web site only lists the Cirrus strings in steel.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The Peavey site is wrong (on more than just strings BTW) as you can see here . The Graphic indicates Nickel Wound but the text indicates steel. The ones I purchased are Nickel. The dealer I use here is St. John's Music in Winnipeg Link . You may also want to check some of the online retailers as well.

Dan

8. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i also love the slap tone on my cirrus...i used dr highbeams on it for years, but i recently changed over to using mtd stainless sets. the mtd's have all of the bright top end that the dr's have, but with a much more complex midrange and deep low end. and that mtd 135 b string on my cirrus is just heavenly!!!

9. 6stringerbeaner

6stringerbeaner

Nov 18, 2003
    hmm. so the ones that come from the factory are steels I wonder? I prefer nickels myself instead of the steels beating up on my frets. I'm leaning towards the DR fat beams but I would still like to hear from more before I go and buy some.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    d00d - I would highly recommend trying the Fatbeams. It's the only string my Cirrus ever wears.

11. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I've always run the Cirrus nickels on all mine for years now, except right now the 5 fretted has on slinkys as I had them laying around and no cash. I've tried, umm fat beams I think, on my old 4, which already had a problem with not quite as thick of lows as the 5 (same woods??) and it sucked what little had had right away... While I am a sucker for a nice bright slap sound, without any bottom it just wasn't cutting it.

However the 5 has tons of beef and is liking the slinkys, but I'm more inclined to go back and try some Dr's, specifically black beauties. But you can't go wrong with the cirrus strings, especially if you like a bubbly low end with tons of finger funk life in them. Sound 'good' but not 'stellar' for slap, but thats the difference from nickel to steel I'd bet.

Oh, and do comment on the nickel vs steel fret wear... my fretted 5 is beat to hell and I've always run the cirrus nickels until just now :) Doesn't seem to matter if it's just how you play...

12. 6stringerbeaner

6stringerbeaner

Nov 18, 2003
    All I can say is "wow!!!!!!" I just went out and purchased a set of DR Fatbeams. Amazing Low end with all the high end zing I need for slapping. I think Cirrus and DR were made for each other. So far the steel feel on these strings seem pretty good and not too rough. I just hope it doesn't ruin my ebony neckboard. I got to thank it to secretdonkey for suggesting getting these strings. I know some people prefer the more smooth mellow sound but these strings just make my cirrus come out and bite you in the ass! :eek:

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Word! :hyper:

You mention Cirrus sound clips in your initial post. All of my Cirrus clips posted on TB and my cut on the last TB compilation CD was with the fatbeams. Very glad to hear you like them too! No fretboard worries here - Cirrus frets are pretty big and keep strings off the board pretty well...

14. +1

Have been using ProSteels for a while but tried the FATBEAMS. :hyper: ....let's just say I haven't ordered anymore ProSteels.

15. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    I use DR HighBeams on my Cirrus. I might try some Fatbeams next time.