String Question For Dunable Bass Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by socialleper, May 7, 2022.

1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Last weened I was in NM and the Albuquerque GC had a custom Dunable R2 with dual Baphomet pickups, that have split controls on each. It was a pretty sweet deal and I have always wanted one, so I snapped it up.
    It is a little different physically and tonally from my Spector Euro 5 string basses. I am used to the 35" scale, but the bridge is different and the string height is different.
    So, for those of you that have, or have had, a Dunable bass, what strings are\were you favs? What tuning did you have it in?

2. will503

will503

Nov 13, 2020
    I’ll bite!

I’ve got two Baphomets, too, but in my Yeti (34” tuned standard).
    It’s definitely an adjustment.
    I remember reading Roger Sadowsky saying ebony fretboards (this is my first) have virtually “no bloom” to their notes and I find that very true on this bass.
    I go between DR Sunbeams & Pure Blues, usually, but the latter sound pretty limp & lifeless on the Dunable. The Sunbeams are working well, though! I wouldn’t say they’re (or it’s) super growly, it’s just got this warm kinda grind to it that I dig.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    socialleper likes this.
  3. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    What tuning and what gauges?

I went from the Nickle Lo Riders to the Hi Beams and it is a little better. I haven't decided if I want to try the .130 instead of the .125.

will503 likes this.
  4. will503

will503

Nov 13, 2020
    45-105 & standard tuning.

What’s bothering you, exactly? What’s your body & neck situation? I have an ash body, neck’s maple, and fretboard (as mentioned before) is ebony.

5. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Black limba body, burl maple top, wenge neck, ebony fretboard.
    I'm turning BEAD and have noticed the B isn't even tonally with the EAD. It is a little darker and less clear. I was curious what other people have used on theirs.
    It has a Hipshot Kick @$$ bridge, which I generally like. It doesn't seem like it goes that low. It isn't that low even though the E saddle is almost all the way down. There isn't much bow in the neck. If anything it was too straight, or even a little back bowed, probably because the previous owner had it setup for EADG.

6. will503

will503

Nov 13, 2020
    I’d think you’d need the nut cut for BEAD, right?
    My nut was overcut so I had my local luthier do a new one altogether. Re: the action it must be something w/ Dunables because at said luthier he said the setup I did was good but that if I wanted lower action, yeah, it’d have to have a neck shim. I have the Hipshot A and it’s definitely bottomed out on the G.
    It’s always annoying being w/o your bass, but sounds like you might relieve your headache by just taking it in.

Last edited: May 18, 2022