Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String question; unusually wide windings..

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by bonniej, Dec 9, 2004.

1. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    These strings came with my double bass two years ago (see pic, E string). I hadn't noticed they were different than most until I got the chance to play a few other basses. What type of strings are they, and why are the windings so wide? Are they the indication of low quality strings, or do they serve a specific purpose?

[​IMG]

What type of strings to buy (I play mostly bluegrass and a little bowing)?

And since I probably wait on new strings because of the $$$, does anyone have a pair of old quality strings they are replacing, that they'd be willing to donate for the cause of another bassist? :help: I think that anything would be better than the ones I have now, even older strings.The windings at the bridge are coming apart.

Bonnie

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    What's the silk color at the tailpiece and peg ends?
    Seems a roundwound string ground flat.

3. bonniej

bonniej

Dec 8, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Black, green, blue, purple. The green is rather light in color, and the blue is an aqua blue, The purple is medium and the black is, well, black!

The black is E, green a, etc., etc.

Bonnie

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Being that I think I remember that your bass was an inexpensive Chinese, it sounds like those no name Chinese strings that pop up under different labels on E-bay all of the time.

I saw a set on a Cremona at a violin shop, and a set on the first Yamaha Silent Basses, and I think that is them.

Pretty horrible strings, as I'm sure you are realizing. Often referred to as placeholder strings (to hold a place until some better ones are put on.

Hope this helps.

Monte