Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string question

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by cabin dweller, Feb 10, 2005.

1. cabin dweller

cabin dweller Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Ridgeland, WI
    If you fellow bass players were to buy the loudest string possible for open campfire bluegrass playin', what would you buy?... spirocore mediums? helicore?.. or is there better?

thanks
    cabin dweller

2. Spiros can be pretty potent but the bass also has a lot to do with volume. Your technique is even more important. The loudest bass and best strings in the world will mutter and grunt with poor technique.

3. Thomastik Stark....the most Macho pizz string out there according to our most Macho players!

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Obligato would be my choice. Spirocores sounded a little thin on my New Engelhardt.

5. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I'm with Chasarms. Obligatos on my ES1. Good tone, plenty of volume, and a little easier on the fingers.

Hey, Cabin Dweller, I'm in Pittsville if you want to try 'em out some weekend. Just send a pm.

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I think the loudest string I ever tried was Helicore Hybrid, heavy gauge.

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    So Chris is the Macho Man then! :bag:

8. I always thought my Engelhardt sounded better with Obligatos but the spiro orchs were actually louder.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Oooyyyyym...a lumbuhjack 'n oyymm Oew Kayy.........

10. I thought loud was the point of the thread?

11. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I cut down trees, I wear High Heels, Suspenders and a BRAAAAAAA

12. When it comes to strings, and after seeing Francois' answer, and considering his knowledge of strings, i'll agree with hin!! Nothing personal Durrl !

13. Exactly my point.

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Just plain loud and loud in a group setting is a little different.

I can certainly understand how even Spirocore mitts would sound louder when simply playing. But I think the reason they are so loud is that they are a bit mid tone heavy. Mids are generally the key to the perception of loudness. They also allow the bass to cut through the mix. This is probably why jazz guys love them. The bass lines are clearly heard.

IME, Obligatos are also pretty loud, have enough midtone to still have life, but are a little tubbier and have more bottom end. I would prefer these characteristics if I was playing BG all the time, as it only takes a couple of D28s to generate a giant, impenetrable ball of mid that nothing will cut through.

Even one loud guitar chunking on the downbeat with the bass line will eat you up.

I like a little tub on the bottom where they can't go. Plus it is a little more in line with the traditional BG sound.

The ease of play of the Obligato is gravy. If you have no experience with spirocore, even mittels offer quite a workout. If you go with starks, well, let's just say they are stiffer than most strings you'll play. :)

The local shop I stop by once and while sets up all its basses with helicores. I've haven't played them for more than a few minutes at a time, but I'm guessing you'd get a pretty good sweat worked up with them as well.