Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Question...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Birkoff, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Birkoff

Birkoff

Aug 27, 2001
    Ok. I am teaching myself bass and its going good just now i need to change my strings. The problem is im sure some of the posts are very accurate the only problem is that I dont know all the terms like bridge and the like. (yes i know what i fret and a string is) so do you think one of you guys could maybe give me some help using idiot layman terms? Thanks alot guys. Maybe even explain what each thing i need to know is? Thanks.

2. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Birk, be a bit more specific and I'm sure that you'll get a more useful answer. What is it that you want to know?

3. Birkoff

Birkoff

Aug 27, 2001
    Sorry i tend to ramble. I really just want to know how to change strings but without all the technical terms. I dont know many parts to a bass thats all.

4. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Birk,
    Two ways to do this. Either one string at a time, or all at once. There are those who advise not to completely remove all the strings at the same time because the removal of tension from the neck might not be a good thing, but others say its OK. I've done it both ways without any problems whatsoever. I would suggest to you to do one string at a time. Anyway, its a very easy procedure:

Loosen the old string at the tuning peg until you can remove it from the peg.

Pull the old string through the bridge (that big shiny metal thing at the butt end of the body).

Good time now to wipe the fretboard with your cleaning cloth or rag or something like that.

Thread the new string through the bridge in a similar manner as the old one was removed.

You want to maintain enough length (at the tuning peg end) of the new string to allow about 3 wraps around the tuning peg and then cut the excess with wire cutters.

Tighten the tuning peg until the string comes up to the proper pitch (comes into tune).

Repeat procedure for all strings.
    Tune when your done.

Check (and if necessary, adjust) relief.
    Check (and adjust, if necessary) string height (action).
    Check (and adjust, if necessary) intonation

There are many posts here that tell you how to do those last three things under the "Setup" category of this forum. If you have a specific question, come back and I'm sure someone will respond to your question.

Save your old strings as spares just incase one is ever needed.

This procedure is very simple, takes a bit of time and is very rewarding once its complete.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Mind that ramblin' now...XavierG will get upset :p (j/k).

Anyhoo, here's a standard re-direct to an article in Bass
    Player magazine on how to install strings -- click here.
    The accompanying pictures help make the "tech" slang
    less obtuse.

6. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Wow! Duane (or not),

Where were you 10 minutes ago? Great info.

Thanks.

-Jeb

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Sow-wy :(...I gotta' sneak in SOME work between postings :p .

8. Birkoff

Birkoff

Aug 27, 2001
    Sweet. Thanks for all the info guys expecially that article. The pictures help. Now its time to just pray i wont ruin anything doing it :)

9. nah, that's unlikely. Don't tune the string too tight, the damn thing'll put yer eye out!