String Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by severed_1, May 26, 2003.

1. severed_1

Jun 4, 2002
    Ok,i'm having a problem with my A string,the best way i can describe it is,it sounds dead,and it's just the A string which is annoying because i like doing stuff on the A string,i was thinking it might be the truss rod,but i don't want to screw with that unless i know what i'm doing

Anyway,any help would be appreciated

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I highly doubt it's the truss rod, it would rattle, but not make a string sound dull.

The string is probably dead. Since you say you like to play it a lot it's probably more worn than the others.
    Change (all) strings.
  3. severed_1

Jun 4, 2002
    That's a pisser because i just changed strings about 2 months ago,so i don't think it's that

It sorta does rattle but doesn't make sense to me because the other strings are fine
  4. A string that is two months old can easely be dead. If you don't want to buy new strings you can revive them with som denaturized alcohold. Just take the strings off the bass and put them in a jar overnight with alcohol. Works great - though some brands seem to be beyond reach no matter how long they're soaked (thus I never got my EB Slinkies back to life).
    Have you tried to play the bass unamped? If the a-string sounds nice and crips here, it could be because your stringheight isn't balanced, and the a-strings is farther away from the pickup than the other strings.

Good luck!