Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Recomendations

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Maidenrulz, Aug 10, 2001.

1. OK I know there are many good types of strings out there for bass and many different kinds. Just wondering if anyone has a good suggestion for strings for me. I mostly play metal and allot of punk rock too. Also anyone who knows of a good site where I can buy strings online send me a link please. Thanks :cool:

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, you could always try a set of Steve Harris Signature Flatwounds like the man himself uses. Or, if you want a string with a ton of bite and plenty of bottom, Rotosound Swing Bass 66's are pretty cool. They don't last as long as some other strings, but if you wipe them down after you play, and use something like Fast Fret, they'll last OK. If you're looking for less expensive strings that are also have plenty of cut and thump, try Ernie Ball Slinkies.

Right now, Musician's Enemy has the Ernies on sale for $12.74, which is pretty good.

MF also has the Steve Harris Sig set for $29.99, which isn't a screaming deal, but it's better than what juststrings sells them for.

They also have the 66's for $19.99, again not a screaming deal, but about average.

www.juststrings.com is sometimes a little higher, sometimes not, but they have an excellent reputation.

HTH

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If you want Rotosounds, the Dude is the man. Here's a link to his board, and if you scroll down to the Rotosound forum and click on the pic of Rotos, you'll be whisked away to his price list.

http://pub41.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm19

Actually, that's a link to the Rotosound forum, right where you want to be.

4. thanks everyone for the suggestions. I didn't know tat harri had a set of strings out I love him so mch he is like my favorite bassist in the world. Anymore suggestions are welcome.