1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Recommendation for D Standard on a Fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dvrader, Feb 4, 2016.

1. dvrader

dvrader

Nov 26, 2015
    I just put together a jazz bass that I plan on tuning to D standard.

I have a couple sets of strings lying around, Rotosound 77 45-105 and Fender 9050M 55-105.

Which would be best?

2. Bassnomer

Bassnomer Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    I would think that either set would work well, it's probably more of a question of which you prefer the sound and feel of.

3. dvrader

dvrader

Nov 26, 2015
    I'm too lazy to string up both. I was hoping you would make the decision for me.

4. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Do you like higher tension or lower tension? If so, search TB to find out which set is higher or lower tension and use that one. Odds are the Fender set is higher tension given that the G string is much larger than the Rotos.

I personally like GHS Bass Boomer 45-105 for D standard and Drop C, but I like low tension. If I never had to go down to Drop C I might use Boomer 45-100's.

5. dvrader

dvrader

Nov 26, 2015
    I like lower tension, so I'll try the Rotos. Thanks.

6. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I thought it was a given around these parts that Rotosound flats were among the highest tension flats you can get. If you want lower tension, I'd go for the Fender set, even though the gauge is may be a little higher on some of the strings.

I've been using GHS flats in D standard (though not on a fretless at the moment) with good results. Also .055 to .105.

But my favourites on a fretless right now are LaBella black nylon tapewounds.