1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String recommendation for NS Design CR5M

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by DrewinHouston, Dec 19, 2018.

1. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    I'm primarily a BG player, but I have an NS Design CR5M that I'd like to string BEADG (it's presently EADGC). I only play pizzicato. I'm looking for a recommendation for strings that would both work with the magnetic pickups (so steel core?) and would sound most like an acoustic upright bass (I also have a '65 Kay M1). I know it's not going to sound exactly like an acoustic bass, and that the two goals may be at cross-purposes. Any recommendations would be welcome.

If this question has been addressed in other threads, I did spend some time searching and wasn't successful.

2. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've got a set of Thomastik Spirocore Weich (S42) string on my CR4M, and they're great. They make a low B/C as well. They are not cheap, but they last forever, and IME/IMO sound far better than the NS or GHS strings.

DrewinHouston likes this.
  3. DrewinHouston

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    This bass is already strung (E-C, detuned) with D'Addario Helicore Solo strings (purple silk with gold thread.) I looked for a low B but it seems like D'Addario doesn't make a low B (or C#) Solo string. Would the Orchestral make a good match?

4. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    AFAIK, the "Solo" Helicore strings are just the solo-tuning version of the Orchestra strings, so yes - the low B should match up just fine, it will just have a slightly higher tension. Which, on a low B, probably isn't a bad thing.

Also, FWIW, the D'Addario NS Electric Traditional strings ARE Helicore Orchestra strings, just with their afterlengths shortened so they fit onto the bass without having to wrap them up the back to the capture slots. The strings' construction is otherwise the same as medium-tension Orchestra strings.

DrewinHouston likes this.
  5. DrewinHouston

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Thanks Mark. I bought the Orchestra B-string (after a mixup and buying a mislabeled high B string on eBay) and it arrived yesterday, I'll restring the bass BEADG as soon as I get back from NAMM next week. Coming from the BG side, I would have thought it silly to have such a long discussion about a single string, but this was around $60, so a significant expense.

6. DrewinHouston

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Also, I just realized I bought it from your shop, thanks!

Mark Gollihur likes this.