String Recommendation

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jtharp, Nov 20, 2015.

1. jtharp

jtharp

May 25, 2008
    Berkeley, CA
    Criteria:
    - Roundwound
    - Reasonably high tension
    - Medium gage 45-105
    - Bright

Wanted to see what you guys had as a good recommendation for roundwound strings. I'm still looking for a type that is perfect for me, so any and all recs are appreciated. I play fingerstyle and slap on a MIA J bass.

Past strings used:

Rotosound 66
    GHS Bass Boomers
    DR Lo-riders
    D'addario flexsteels

While the first two were fine, I found they only really hit their prime after about a month of playing, and only for about a month. Conversely, the Lo-Riders felt awesome, and sounded fantastic for slap, I felt they were lacking for fingerstyle. I'm leaning more towards a return to a roundcore string, though I am tempted to try out steel sadowsky black label, which are hex.

Anyone got a killer recommendation?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Klonk likes this.
  3. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    Dude, Elixir bass strings. Yes, yes, and yes.

4. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Ernie Ball Slinky.
    The sound great, feel good and they are relatively affordable.
    A must try.

5. Zodion

Zodion

Aug 9, 2014
    New York
    And they die faster than others

6. jtharp

jtharp

May 25, 2008
    Berkeley, CA

So I got the Fodera Steels, the full on J tone was fantastic, as was the tension, and I hated the way the neck pickup sounded with them (super boomy). I slapped them on my P bass though...and they are the best strings I've ever had on there by a mile. They fit the P so perfectly for every style. So thank you very much for helping me find the perfect string for one of my two basses!

mmbongo likes this.
  7. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    Ernie Ball super slinky. try the super slinky cobalt if you want even more brightness and output. They do not die faster than any other, in my experience, that would be ghs strings.

8. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I put on a set of Thomastik-Infeld PowerBass strings a few weeks ago. Noticeably more vibrant sound than anything else I have tried; makes past favorites sound sonically lacking, lo-fidelity.

Moderately high tension, but flexibility maybe a touch more stiff than DR Sunbeams.

Bright sound, but, I think, a pleasing bright sound. I found DR Hi Beams, for example, to sound bright in an unpleasant-to-me way.

On the downside, expensive compared to most other brands. I hope they last a long time. I have heard that they do.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021