String recommendation

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Earthday, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Earthday

Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    I'm looking for a roundwound string with the warm, nonzingy sound of a flatwound that's still slappable. A nice warm fingerpicking tone is much more important, but I'd like well rounded ones.
  2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Fender 7150 pure nickels are nice IMHO :hyper:
  3. If it's warmth you're after, you want nickels and not steels. Steels are VERY zingy (which is my preference), but most manufacturers make more than a few sets in nickel, too.

I've played D'Addario EXL 170's. I liked the feel, but the tone wasn't bright enough for my taste. They also make a coated nickel -- the EXP line, which you might want to check out.

It's hard to gauge what YOUR string is. I've tried DRs, Ken Smiths, D'Addarios, Foderas, GHS, Dean Markley, and a bunch of others. Right now I'm digging the Fodera steels. To be honest, my ears tell me that string materials make a bigger difference than the manufacturer.

For instance, a set of DR Hi-Beams and D'Addario XL Pro steels sound subtly different, but not enough to make me choose one brand over another, whereas a set of nickels and a set of steels sound COMPLETELY different. Feel is more important, because most of the sonic differences between strings of the same materials can be rendered equivalent with your gear. Again, just my opinion.

Just pick a set and play them. If you hate them, pick another. Experimentation is the only way to figure it out -- no one plays like you do.
  4. The closest roundwound string to a flat wound that I know of would be Thomastik Jazz Rounds.
    Very smooth. Wait a week for the zing to go away and there you are.

If they are too light (but don't be fooled by gauge) you could try Infeld SuperAlloy. Very smooth round with a warm vintage tone.

You could also try the DR Sunbeams or the Fenders mentioned above.
  5. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    hmm they're kinda zingy... but I like Rotosounds :)
  6. bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
  7. Meh. D'addario half-rounds are good for what you are looking for. My half rounds now are techniqually "completely dead," but they are still bright enough to get a oldskool style slap-tone, and they are very bassy (but clean/clear) and smooth.