String Recommendations for a Modulus Quantum

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DavePlaysBass, Mar 8, 2005.

1. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I just picked up a 93 Modulus. It has Barts with a two band EQ. The neck pup has a three way single / series / single or parallel option.

Upon receipt I replaced the old steel strings with a slightly used set of DA XLs 45-105-130. I dug the sound. Tension was higher than I liked. So I threw on a set of slightly used Ken Smith Burners 45-100-125 taper core. The KS Burners seem dead on the E and B compared to the others. Especially the B. Not sure if it's the Burners, the 125, or the taper. I think the Burners are a higher tension string. I did not mind the higher tension on the D and G and I felt the E and A were much more managable. They are rougher which I do not care for as much.

Anyway, what nickel round wounds do you all prefer for the Modulus beast? Anyone sticking with the 45-100-130 gauges? I am thinking about getting a set of DA XL 170-5 super longs and one other set for comparison...

I play finger style primarily and would like some good pop and clear bottom. The barts seem to do the bottom pretty good but have what I would called subdued highes to some degree.

Anyone play flats on a Modulus Quantum? It seems like a sin but then again it might be really a cool modern vintage tone...

2. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I tend to stick with (dead) XLs on my Quantum. I LOVE flats, and have them on all my 4-strings, but every set of flats I've tried on the Quantum just didn't sound right. The inherent sound of the bass and the inherent sound of the strings seemed to fight each other, as opposed to complimenting one another, if that makes any sense. Although, I may have to give the new nickel D'Addario Half Rounds a try - may be a good compromise.
  3. I would drop Steve Lawson a pm (see Ask a pro) he uses flats on two of his Quantums, sounds great to me, I think he uses Elites
  4. I play Fodera Diamond Series on my Modulus Q6. Although they are not flats, I find it is the best string for my bass and pickup config (sweet spot with turbo option).
  5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My favorite strings for my Q5 are DR high beams ... you could try some nickel DRs if you want less edge, but the DRs are more flexible than any other strings I've used and with the 35" scale especially I dig the slightly more rubbery feel. Switching back to other strings feels like playing steel rods by comparison.
  6. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've tried just about every string known to man on my Q5. And yes I've tried flats (TI JFs, DA Chromes and Markley's). I find flats, even on a Mod, too thumpy in the band mix (classic R&B/Motown). But, if I were to use an electric bass in my Jazz trio gigs I would use flats all the time. They give the Mod a nice growly midrange with just the right thump for electric bass Jazz. However, I don't because I play upright exclusively for my Jazz stuff.

I have tried all the DR's and find the nickels work best with the Mod. Sunbeams and Nickel Lo-Rs are great. DA XLs are never my first choice but they're fine when DR's are not available. Right now I'm trying Elixer Nanos and the early reviews are pretty good.

I've tried a bunch that wouldn't get a second look (not that they are "bad" just not preferred).That group includes Roto's,
    DR Steels, Markley Rounds, TI Rounds, and more.

As always, my ears are not your ears!
  7. I've played a Modulus M92 5-string (pre-SS) for about 10 years. Early on I believe they came stock with GHS Electric Bass Quantum 5-String Ex. Long Super Steels for Modulus .044-.128. I bought and played a bunch of 'em from Jane at Modulus. Very aggressive strings. Later, I think, Modulus switched to D'Addario as stock because they're warmer. So I tried a set of D'Addarios. It did seem they were warmer, but they are less defined and less aggressive. Depends on your type of gig and the sound you want. Just my .02 worth. Good luck. Let me know what you find out.
  8. Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    Another vote for D'Addarios here! After trying a ton of strings I settled on D'addarios XLs and DR High beams but the XL is definetly my favorite, bright, long life, good feel.
    I intend to string up my Quantum 5 with D'addario EXPs next time though, I've been playing them on my Ibanez Btb and I love them. Same D'addario sound but a bit less bright and they seem to have kept that sound for a few months now.
  9. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    As Ed said, I've got Bass Centre Elites Flats on both my 6 string Moduli - fretted and fretless. I love the sound and feel of the strings - if you have a listen to the tracks on my latest album, 'Grace And Gratitude', all the tracks except 'Shizzle' were recorded using the 6s with flats (Shizzle was on a four string Quantum with Elites Nickel Roundwounds).

10. I've got Bass Centre Elites Flats on both my 6 string Moduli

Where can I buy them?
  11. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  12. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Thx for the responses.

13. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have tried out at least 9 different types of strings on my Q5 and found the DR fat beams and Low riders ss or ns to be the best sounding for my style and rig.