String Recommendations for a Peavey T-40

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by megiddo, Dec 14, 2005.

1. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I just picked up a Peavey T-40 see this link for the story. :D

So those of you with more experience, could you recommend some strings I should try? I play in a praise and worship band and the musical style varies but is basically rock and roll - Eagles to Led Zeppelin. I've got some Snarling Dog Heavies coming because they are roundwound nickel and have the advantage of being cheap so I won't cry if they suck. Which very well may be the case. :meh:

Any suggestions?
  2. I have used Rotosound 66-s they sounded good just too bright. Then some Elixir nanoweb strings much better they are coated and last a long time. Still not quite the bass sound this thing is capable of. So next up Thomastik TI jazz flats. Now that is what bass is supposed to sound like. Punchy,Deep, Still clean and clear Just a bit more thump. So depending on what you like If you like the classic bass thump then Flats, If you like more upper frequencies then the Elixira and if you want bright zippy sound then new rotosound 66-s .
    YMMV :bassist:
    Hope this helps.
  3. Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    My opinion??? I can't say enough for Pyramid flats. I have them on my T-45 and....I have to tell ya, it thumps. Great bottom end and I think it will sound wonderful on a T-40. I have a T-40 on the way from Ebay and the Pyramids are going on there as well. They are expensive compared to other flats but, very worth it. The best price I've come across is here:

For a worship type band or Beatles, Byrds stuff you can't beat them. Of course, my opinion only. Good luck!!!
  4. Scottpro1969

Oct 10, 2005
    Townsend, MA
    I DO want to try Thomastik Infeld flats....I've heard nothing but great things about them. Also, the Pyramids have a much higher tension than the TI' I have heard.