String recommendations on a SUB Ray4

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bass1965, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Bass1965

Bass1965

May 3, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    I picked up a new SBMM S.U.B. Ray4 a few weeks ago and I need some advice on strings. I have been playing with flats on my P bass for so long I forgot what rounds even felt/sounded like! The stock strings, which I assume aren't really any good, still sounded good to me. But I have to believe that a fresh set of quality strings will make the bass sound even better.
    So, I love the feel of flats (GHS Precision on my P), but I do like how the rounds sound on this bass. I guess I am looking for the best of all worlds. I want to keep the "stingray sound", and if I could do it with flats -that would be perfect. If that's not possible, that's OK, but I have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Right_Butterscotch64

Right_Butterscotch64

Oct 18, 2012
    Look up brands that make half rounds and pressure wounds. Supposedly are a mix of rounds and flats.

If you want full on in your face aggressive rounds I would look at rotosound swing bass strings.

3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I find Ernie Ball Slinky strings sound very good on Stingray style basses. Don't enjoy em on much else but they pair very well with Stingrays.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021