1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String recommendations please?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sue Egypt, May 15, 2019.

1. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH
    Hello fellow bass people.
    I have a few questions for you. What is your favorite type/brand of strings? I have been using Curt Mangan nickel wound for about a decade because they will make the custom set of gauges I need for my 7 string and they sound/feel great. On TB I have seen people talking about Elixirs, someone mentioned Sunbeams... Is there a noticeable difference between manufacturers or is it all about materials?
    I'm curious about trying something new with my next string change and would love some recommendations.
    Also- Do you wipe off your strings after playing?

Thanks all.

Alan Ace Cooper likes this.
  2. Yes and yes. And how they're designed and constructed.

scuzzy and MattZilla like this.
  3. It's hard to recommend anything without knowing your specific tonal goals according to the style of music, etc. Otherwise, you'll just end up with dozens of recommendations based on what THEY LIKE, not what YOU NEED.

Kipp Harrington and trothwell like this.
  4. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH
    That makes sense Michael. Thanks for that.
    To be more specific... I prefer a bright tone, I play my bass more like a Chapman Stick, with both hands on the fret board. I never play slap because I can't stand the sound of it. I use lots of chords and harmonics.
    And I'm curious if people have varying experiences of how long strings last made by different manufacturers.

michael_t likes this.
  5. Now we're getting somewhere...

What bass do you have? Standard 34" scale? How do you tune it?

6. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH
    Warrior MD 7 string, 34" scale, Tuned B E A D G A D

7. Just one more question...

What specific gauges of Curt Mangan Nickels have you been using?

8. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH
    The diameters are 20, 30, 45, 65, 85, 100, 130

9. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    So you tune the high C to A, I will try that with my 5 string E - C. I'm curious now, just want to see how the C string will feel... Sorry, I do not want to take more time on your post...

10. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH
    No worries French.

FrenchBassQC likes this.
  11. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I’ve tried different tunings (with different string gauges), mostly on a 6-string bass. Usually a modification of a Celtic guitar tuning, or just closer to a shift of all strings (ie. DGCFBbD). I use D’Addario XL Nickels because they are easy to buy in many different gauges and I’ve found them to be very consistent sounding. I’ve ended up with a significant stash of different gauges allowing me to try different tunings whenever I get the inclination.

FrenchBassQC likes this.
  12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Thanks, I will be experimenting more with different tunings. I have a Surine 6 strings that will be the perfect tuning lab for this... :thumbsup:

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR Sunbeams
    DR Pure Blues
    Dunlop Super Bright Nickels

Been around the block and these deliver what I'm looking for. Lower tension, balanced feel, deep lows, crisp mids, no zing.

wattsman and vlad335 like this.
  14. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey srayb are you buying sets or individual strings? And from where do you buy them please?

15. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    srayb and staurosjohn like this.
  16. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    srayb likes this.
  17. He's currently suspended from posting.

18. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Oops... :jawdrop:

19. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH
    Thanks everyone. I'll head to fret nation and pick up something different to try on my next string change.

20. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    Wow! Exactly. Its like I posted this!
    Sunbeams are my favorite string of all time. Bit too grindy initially but when they break in, they are perfect and last forever.
    On the other hand nothing sounds better too me than a brand new set of Super Brights. When we record I install a new set and every Engineer raves about the tone. However, they lose it after awhile and I don't like the sound and feel after that. Just picked up a set Pure Blues a couple weeks ago for the first time. Very nice!

DaveAceofBass likes this.