1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

string recommendations

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by unclebass, Mar 16, 2013.

1. I want a good deep bass tone without alot of punch, a little bright, but not too bright. What direction do I need to go? Are larger diameter strings more punchy than smaller? Are stiffer strings more punchy than floppys? Need info from someone with experience.

2. Anybody??

3. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I would suggest that you go for some thick strings. How many strings does your bass have? Or even better : What bass do you have?

4. Two basses, Squier standard jazz and Fender Blacktop Jazz. I have a set of unopened Rotosound 77s 45-105, but they are a really stiff string.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR FatBeams. Deep, punchy, and not stiff.

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    ^^

Yep

7. What about a brighter flatwound like Chromes?

8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I have two P basses. One has Chromes, the other has La Bella 760FS flats. The Chromes are less tension, brighter, more rock to my ears, but with the right fiddling of the tone control and EQ on the amp it can get a 'decent' old-school thump, but not ideal if you really want the 'thump', but still a very versatile string for sure.

The La Bellas are much higher tension (whether you like this or not is purely personal preference, and I happen to be liking it a lot!). For old school 'thump' this is where it's at, in my opinion! Even with the bass unplugged this strings give a very upright-like sound. I was shocked too that if I play these strings with a thinner pick (a thick pick with give you a more muted sound) and change your EQ they will give a nice tone that would cut through in a rock/heavier rock setting, but these strings are meant for Motown, old-school tone for sure! I dig the higher tension too, because I can really dig in with my fingers or a pick and not ave the strings bottom out or buzz while still keeping the action on the lower end. I love these strings so much I am seriously considering replacing my Chromes with them, but will admit I do like the versatility of the two basses since they sound so different from each other.

I'd say if you like a higher tension string and really want to nail the old-school thump go with La Bellas, if you want a very well rounded string that is more geared toward a modern sound, but is still a flatwound string, and will hold it's own but not excel with old school thump, go for the Chromes!