1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String replacement

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Castigodelagua, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Castigodelagua

Castigodelagua

Nov 23, 2018
    At the end of such a bad week, I will keep it simple... I've just bought a new set of Ernie Ball Cobalt bass strings and broke the G string. Do I need to buy another complete set of strings? Or can I just buy one nickel .5 G string and use that with the other 3 being cobalt?

2. How exactly did this happen? Where did the string break?

3. Castigodelagua

Castigodelagua

Nov 23, 2018
    Just tunning... I was quite stupid

4. Why would you be "stupid" if the string broke in the process of being tuned up to pitch? Sounds to be like it was defective to begin with, so EB should replace it free of charge.

Or, is this a case where you accidentally tuned it too high?

5. Castigodelagua

Castigodelagua

Nov 23, 2018
    I tuned too much without tuner...

Yahboy likes this.
  6. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Lot of seriously unhelpful comments on this thread. Hey, this happens. Now you know. Always use a tuner. Go get a new set of COBALTS, put the G string on and keep the other three for backup.

7. If you broke it because you were winding it way above pitch it is your fault. We all make mistakes and pay for our lessons learned. Go go buy a new set. My guess is that will be the last time you make that mistake.

8. You always replace the whole set, some bassists replace their string periodically but that's another discussion.

9. Just put your old G on if it’s tolerable. Otherwise, get another set and keep E/A/D as backup as others have said.

10. moreblues

moreblues Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2013
    hudson valley,n.y.
    Stuff Happens. You do not need to buy another complete set unless the set you have is old but You say you just bought it So Just buy the G string that you broke and put her on. Use a tuner this time. No big deal.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    JGbassman likes this.
  11. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    I'm superstitious to a point.
    At a gig and have an odd ball?
    Use it.
    Have the time/funds?
    All new set.
    Cobalts and the Hybrids are nice.

12. Castigodelagua

Castigodelagua

Nov 23, 2018
    Just about to play tomorrow so I bought a new set but stainless steel Rotosound.
    I've learnt my lesson.

arbiterusa likes this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I gave my niece this advice when she wanted to play guitar. She called me up one day and wanted me to come over and check out why her guitar was so hard to play. Turned out she tuned up a fifth from where she was supposed to be because the tuner that came with her starter pack recognized the fifth as an in-tune note :D

So I'd say learn to identify the proper pitches with your ear and learn to tune with your ear first, THEN use a tuner.

14. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    To the OP:

You can get an app for your phone thst has the correct pitch that plays, enabling you to tune it in the correct octave. After getting it there, use a regular tuner to tweak it.

I have one for a mandolin. I don't play enough to have the correct pitch ingrained in my head, so I use thst to get the mandolin in the ballpark first. It doesn't take much to break those little strings.

Anyway, they are a free download, goes on your phone, and you can quickly get it to the right octave without damage.

Hope this helps in the future.

15. Castigodelagua

Castigodelagua

Nov 23, 2018
    Sadly I had a little pitch in my head and tuner app but well...

16. MikeInSF

MikeInSF

Aug 16, 2014
    Three options:

1) Buy a fresh set of Cobalts for the extra G. Keep the other strings for those “just in case” moments.
    2) Buy a single string - juststrings.com sells singles.
    3) Use the old G you are replacing. Boil it first to clean it up and give it some more usable life.

Don’t hassle EB about a replacement - either single or a set - as this wasn’t a faulty product issue as the OP mentions.

Yahboy and okcrum like this.
  17. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Hey, welcome to TalkBass! You're not the only one to ever do this. Last time I had a string endorsement, I broke a brand new D string because I assumed the unlabeled strings were in order in each set: GDAE. Well, this batch came in DGAE. Try tuning a D string up to G sometime. Using a tuner didn't help. D'oh!

The company offered to replace the string when I told them about it, and I laughed. They were cool folks, and I wasn't going to beat them up over my mistake. I ordered another D string.

18. I played on Super Slinkys when I started out...16 years ago. They were 30 bucks, and pretty decent. Then I tried some other brands and types. Never went back. I tried a set of cobalts about 5 years ago. They rusted in less than two weeks. And were decently expensive. I'll never buy EB again. And, Ball is my local manufacturer here in San Luis. I'll still never buy them again. But that's me. My guitarist loves them, as well as plenty of other people all over the world. I don't.

But on the original topic. I'd buy another pack, and keep the rest as the next set. The G string sounds better dead anyway. Just like the other strings sound better new. So, win win right?

19. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Since I hardly ever use that string, I'd have no problem tossing almost any ol' same gauge G i had lying around on there till the E & A caught up with it in usage time.

Personally, I really like the EB Cobalt Rounds... Medium gauge = good, 55-110s even more so :thumbsup:

20. bluesdoubler

bluesdoubler Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Maryland
    You can buy individual strings. Always good to have spares with you in your gig bag or case.