Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Retainer Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Dec 16, 2005.

1. I have a 74 Jazz and the string retainer really puts the D and G string closer to the headstock than they need to be.Does this increase the tension of those strings and would there be a difference if I lifted the retainer up a bit by sticking a washer under it?
    Thanks
    Roxy

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What problem does this cause? The string retainer makes the break angle across the nut sharper, so it tnds to have a more solid vibratory anchor point, which makes the open notes sing better.

3. I'm thinking that if I reduced the angle just a bit I might still have enough downforce on the nut but less tension so I'll have a little easier time when I hardpluck the D and G strings.Just a thought.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You won't. It makes very little difference in string tension. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work for you, you're out the price of a washer and 2 minutes worth of screwing and unscrewing.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Aww, that's just TOOOO easy. I am not going to turn that into a joke. It just wouldn't be right.

6. The string tension WILL NOT CHANGE AT ALL. For your G string to be tuned to an actual G it must have a specific tension applied to it.

You could completely remove the string retainer and it would have NO effect on string tension.

However, if all you want are strings that are easier to pick/pluck just try lighter gauge strings. That WILL make a difference.