Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String review: Lakland Joe Osbourne Signature flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Figjam, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I put a set of these flatwounds on my Spector Q5 today. I bought them for $35 + shipping from Lakland.

First thing i noticed about them is the feel. I like the feel of them better than D'Addario Chromes. They are a little less sticky feeling, and dont have the 'metallic dust' on them that rubbed off of the D'Addarios.

They sound good. I wanted to get a less aggressive sound from the Spector, since the EMG HZs have an aggressive, growly tone. They have a really even tone.

Basicaly if anyones looking for flatwounds other than D'Addarios and a little less expensive than TI flats, these are great strings.

2. Thanks Figjam for the review!

I have a Yamaha RBX800A that has the P/J pickup configuration, both pups are EMG's and active.

I think I will give the Joe Osbourne Signature flats a try. I've been looking for something to help tame these pups!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. I've got a set on my Lakland USA 4-94 and they are very nice. I just got a set of TI flats but am unsure what I will put them on yet. I just got my new Sadowsky PJ4 and it's got some Dean Markley Rocco Prestia strings on it which I'm not real wild about so far. I'm going to put my new set of TI Power Bass on I'm thinking because I love them on my Joe Osborn. I'm going to have to do the string shuffle I think because the Joe's PB strings are about 4-5 old and still sound great but I installed them through the body and the new Sad doesn't have that opition... or else I put them on and save the new ones for later...
    I may put the Joe Osborn flats on the Joe Osborn bass and see what they sound like. When I got the Joe, Dan Lakin had a set on one of his PJ's with a Jazz neck/P body and they were delicious. From what I'm understanding the TI flats will feel far different from the Osborns. Maybe I should just by another bass and try to even things out... :meh: