Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string ring...help!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RevGroove, Sep 28, 2002.

1. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'm going nuts trying to figure this out...my tech restrung, set up, and intonated my bass on Wednesday...but I had to take it back to him on Friday because I noticed a really annoying ringing when I slapped.

No problem, he took a quick look at it, adjusted the truss rod, but then he had to run out for the rest of the day on a family emergency.

So, I take it home, pull it out to play, and that dang ringing noise is still there...only when I slap...like the string is ringing against the frets, if you know what I mean!!!

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this and what can be done to stop it? He set up my other bass a few days before, and there's no problem whatsoever with that one. I don't want to bug the guy too much as he is a co-worker, but I need my gear to work properly, so I am considering getting a second opinon, but thought I'd post something first to see if any of you have a solution...thanks in advance!!!
    :confused:

2. Is the string buzzing on certain frets or just anytime you slap it? If it buzzes anytime you slap it, its probably just the action, just a simple adjustment at the bridge should fix that.

If it is only ringing on certain frets, your neck may not be straight. Which requires a truss rod adjustment.

Just bring it to your tech again and explain to him the problem, he would prbably be able to figure out whats wrong quicker than we can, because we don't have the bass in our hands.

3. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    True true...but I guess I didn't explain myself properly. I'm not talking about simple fret buzz...this is like a high pitched ringing even when I slap an open string...there's resonance from the strings hitting the frets being transmitted through the amp. Someone just pointed out to me this morning thought that it may be a problem with the amp, so we'll have to check that out as well. But that high pitched resonance is just not acceptable! Are there any other ideas, or maybe I can figure out a way to put a sound file up here so you can hear what I'm talking about...:confused: :confused: :confused:

4. Do you have a different amp you could try it through? Or even a different bass you could try through your amp?

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    I have two bass guitars, and I didn't notice it so much at first with the bolt on, but I did yesterday. It's definitely worse with the neck thru.

I go to church with the PA dept. manager where I work, he says we have another BM400C in the back, so I'm going to bring it home tomorrow night and A/B them with both guitars and see what happens. I'll keep y'all posted, thanks!

6. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    I had a problem with my Fender Precision whereby I would get a high pitched ringing either finger style or slap. It would last maybe half a second after the string was damped. It turned out that the pick-up was set too close to the strings which made it over-sensitive to the high overtones.

I lowered the pup height and the ringing went.

When I set up my bass I'm amazed at the different sounds you can get by altering the pick-up height. Most marked on the E. Things go a bit AWOL if you set them too near the strings though.

Hope you get it fixed ok.