String rub marks on Barts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by masterFunk, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Does anyone have a good remedy for getting them out?
    a little bit of sanding perhaps?
    I know it isn't a big deal but my bass would look so much better with out them.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Before doing anything, I hope you've lowered your pups/adjusted your action so this doesn't continue to happen.

I haven't had the problem, but I imagine sanding would just make it look worse, especially where "Bartolini" appears on the covers. Perhaps some black Magic Marker would do the trick.
  3. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I believe magic marker may leave an irredescent hue when the light hits it a certain way, you may want to try one of those ScotchBrite finishing pads (the fine mesh, not a pot scrubber!) Stay clear of steel wool as well.
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    eek, yeah, i have a few of those on my curbow rockwood 6....they're from being in the case, though, not from playing.
  5. I saw the marks and adjusted the action when I got the bass. Previous owner made the marks.. nothing major.. thanks.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have marks on my barts too.
    I just make sure they're clean and don't care about it.
  7. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea I have a few marks on my pickups as well. I'd don't know if you really can do much to get them out. Most things will scratch them even more. If they really bother you, I would just buy a new set of pickup covers.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Replacing Bart pickup covers may not be very easy.

Don't know what to tell you.
  9. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You might be able to "buff" out the scratches with a rubbing and/or buffing compound sold at most automotive supply stores...though I've found some very good buffing compunds at Wal-Mart.

They are excellent at taking scratches out of car finishes and I use them regularly when I paint murals on guitars and basses, or I redo the finish on one.

There are different grades of grit. The coarser the grit the more it takes out...and you'd want to use more of a fine buffing or polishing compound for the final rub-out.
  10. papalo

Apr 16, 2003
    With all due respect, if this has worked for you on molded covers before then I would guess you are an exception and I would like to hear you secret. I, personally, would absolutely NOT use any rubbing compound on molded pickup covers-they will scratch beyond repair in an instant.
    Buffing? Yes. Plastic polish, and perhaps finishing polish maybe. I would experiment very cautiously.
  11. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It was only a suggestion.

Personally I wouldn't do anything with pickup scratches...but if he wanted to try something, I would think that buffing and/or rubbing compounds would be less harmful than sanding as the compounds come in a wide variety of grit, from coarse to extremely fine...much finer than any sand paper.

So fine in fact, that buffing with the finest grade is almost impossible to detect it doing anything other than polish.

The rubbing and buffing compounds I use are frequently used on the clear coats of the guitars and basses I do, which is an acrylic polymer (plastic)...and I have used these compounds on a wide variety of surfaces with varying effect...none of which have damaged anything beyond repair.

Though this is only a suggestion and I make no claim that anyone who uses this method (or these products) will have the same success, or will not do any damage to their instruments.