String Selection Debacle

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dmaki, Jan 11, 2004.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I'm trying to find the "right" strings to get next, but I need some suggestions. Here's what I have tried and what I've felt:

D'Addario XL: sound good but just lack a certain something overall, similar to GHS boomers

D'Addario XL EXP: same as the regular XL's but felt a bit smoother w/ the coating, not as bright out-of-the-box

Dean Markley Blue Steel: too tinny and not enough bottom, rough on the hands

DR Sunbeams: just plain hated, boring tone and died very quickly

Ernie Ball Slinkys: sound decent but die fairly quickly

GHS Boomers: sound good but just lack a certain something overall, similar to D'Addario XL's

Warwick ??? Label Steel: crappy tone, sandpaper feel, only strings I've ever had break on me

I have 2 basses, a G&L L-2000 and an Ibanez GSR 200 w/ EMG P&J pickups. I use the G&L with a pick for more aggressive and "lead" bass tones. The EMG's are much more tame so I use my Ibanez for warmer fingerstyle playing. I'm looking to replace the strings on both of my basses.

On my L-2000 I'm looking to get a sound somewhere between Green Day's "Dookie" and Incubus' "SCIENCE". Cut through the mix, slight growl/bite, but retaining bottom end.

On my Ibanez I'm looking to get the sound on Cake's "Fashion Nugget". Deep and smooth. I picked up a set of Fender flatwounds on a whim, but I haven't put them on yet as I have no idea if they will obtain the tone I want (I've never played flats before).

If you've managed to read through this entire post and have any advice or recommendations to offer, I'd really appreciate it.:cool:
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sounds like TI powerwounds for the G&L and TI powerflats on the Ibanez (if the Fenders are too tight and thumpy for ya).
  3. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Try Sit rock brights their a steal string. SITs
    sound great and last a long time. you can geat them at;)
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sounds like the strings you have tried are nickel. Try some stainless steel since you mentioned they lacked something. I like DR Lowriders SS, and DR highbeams. They are a little more aggressive and still have the lows and smoothness of the nickel strings.