Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Selection Debacle

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dmaki, Jan 11, 2004.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I'm trying to find the "right" strings to get next, but I need some suggestions. Here's what I have tried and what I've felt:

----
    D'Addario XL: sound good but just lack a certain something overall, similar to GHS boomers

D'Addario XL EXP: same as the regular XL's but felt a bit smoother w/ the coating, not as bright out-of-the-box

Dean Markley Blue Steel: too tinny and not enough bottom, rough on the hands

DR Sunbeams: just plain hated, boring tone and died very quickly

Ernie Ball Slinkys: sound decent but die fairly quickly

GHS Boomers: sound good but just lack a certain something overall, similar to D'Addario XL's

Warwick ??? Label Steel: crappy tone, sandpaper feel, only strings I've ever had break on me
    ----

I have 2 basses, a G&L L-2000 and an Ibanez GSR 200 w/ EMG P&J pickups. I use the G&L with a pick for more aggressive and "lead" bass tones. The EMG's are much more tame so I use my Ibanez for warmer fingerstyle playing. I'm looking to replace the strings on both of my basses.

On my L-2000 I'm looking to get a sound somewhere between Green Day's "Dookie" and Incubus' "SCIENCE". Cut through the mix, slight growl/bite, but retaining bottom end.

On my Ibanez I'm looking to get the sound on Cake's "Fashion Nugget". Deep and smooth. I picked up a set of Fender flatwounds on a whim, but I haven't put them on yet as I have no idea if they will obtain the tone I want (I've never played flats before).

If you've managed to read through this entire post and have any advice or recommendations to offer, I'd really appreciate it.:cool:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sounds like TI powerwounds for the G&L and TI powerflats on the Ibanez (if the Fenders are too tight and thumpy for ya).

3. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Try Sit rock brights their a steal string. SITs
    sound great and last a long time. you can geat them at juststrings.com;)

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sounds like the strings you have tried are nickel. Try some stainless steel since you mentioned they lacked something. I like DR Lowriders SS, and DR highbeams. They are a little more aggressive and still have the lows and smoothness of the nickel strings.