String Selection?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, May 20, 2005.

1. What type of strings are good for fat punchy grinding hard rock or metal? The sound I'm trying to go for is a Staind sound. Anyone know what Staind's bassist uses equiptment-wise?
  2. I don't know what he uses. I tried stainless steel DR hi-beams on my iceman and will never go back to nickels. Steels give you a great growl that is very noticeable. They wear on the frets more, so I wouldn't string 'em on something too expensive or sentimental. I left nickels on my p-bass ( first real bass I ever owned).
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A good place to start is bright sounding stainless steel strings. Dean Markley SR2000s are about the brightest.

Moved to Strings.
  4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    The bassist for Staind actually uses Ernie Ball Nickelplated Skinkies. I agree with embellisher though, Dean Markley SR2000 are quite bright but they are taperwound which may not be your cup 'o tea. Here are some other suggestions:

Dean Markley Blue Steel (Stainless Steel)
    DR Hi-Beams
    DR Lo-Riders

These are all stainless steel sets. I suppose nickelplated strings would work but I prefer the grind and punch of stainless steel roundwounds.